Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

HELP. P0299 DTC code on startup when truck idles.

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ai17828 
#1 ·
Ok need help for the .org. Bought my 06 250 in March. Every month since I bought it I get the DTC P0299 turbo under boost. Been showing up about once a month. The code only shows when I start the truck and it's running at idle. Talked to a local diesel mechanic about it and he said that it can't be he turbo because there is no boost created at idle. I never lose power or anything when the code shows up. So what should I start checking/cleaning to make this code quit appearing?

#4 ·
P0299 is EBP originated, and yes there is boost and EBP at idle, not much but it's there and the PCM is looking for a certain amount. You are most likely looking at a frozen/stuck unison ring that could free up when all the turbo parts heat up and expand. I see this quite often actually. Warmed up the turbo moves free, let it sit overnight and it sticks open a little bit. Warm up on a cold engine wants high EBP/VGT duty cycle, if the unison ring is stuck where it was when you shut it down hot it will generate an underboost code.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.