Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

I don't even know what kind of problem this is

867 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Throttle_monkey1 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm a noob on this forum but I thought I'd join up to see if you guys can figure this one out.

I've got an 06 F350 and it needs head gaskets and glow plug number 3 is toast and injector #4 kinda acts weird. Anyways I took it to this shop last night just to do a pressure test on the cooling system and it reached 17 psi, and the delta between ECT & EOT was 12-15 degrees with a max oil temp of 206 and coolant being 191 so I'm gonna have him replace the oil cooler while he's doing the other work.

Anyways, after we did these hard pulls with the truck my gas pedal has totally changed. It's like now 3/4 throttle happens with just one inch of pedal movement. I immediately took my SCT tuner and returned the truck to stock (was running performance tune). The gas pedal thing is still there and it feels way more powerful than stock. I don't know if it did go back to stock settings or if the pedal just makes it feel faster. It will also throw a huge black cloud of soot even on stock settings if I mash the pedal. It never used to do this.

When returning it to stock the SCT tuner said that everything went as it should and there were no errors. It's almost like idle to WOT happens in about 1.5 inches of pedal travel.

See less See more
#4 ·
Keep in mind there is no cable any more from the pedal to the throttle.
Only a sensor and wires [fly by wire] however there is a return spring on the pedal this sometimes gets streached and looses some tension. Causeing a lazy weak pedal.

The app sensor is a small plastic box attached to the pedal and has 3 potentiometers in a redundant array. Any 2 have to agree or the PCM sees this as a fault.

The box is not waterproof and a windshield leak can land right on top of the box.
03 and 04 were bad for that leak.

With a scanner you can watch the values change as the pedal is moved thru it's range, there are 3 pids to watch. Movement and signal change should be smooth not jerky. Jerky signal is an indicater of corrosion/rust making the wheels stick.

#5 ·
I doubt it is your accelerator pedal, but if the inside happened to realign or the spring slipped, it wouldn't send a code unless, as previously said, the values of the 3 potentiometers, (2 one way and one inverse), were out of range. The issue with the transmission could just be the tune adjustment.

If you figure you need to replace the accelerator, I have a nearly new one in a filing cabinet here in Manitoba. PM me if you want it. It is very easy to change out with it being plug-and-play.

#6 ·
agreed on it not being the pedal itself due to the multiple sensors and ref voltage cross checking ( one ref voltage increases and the other decreases )

but if u have adjustable pedals and they were moved it will make the throttle feel completely different

#7 ·
One more idea; if you moved a floor mat out of the way, you may have found some new performance. You wouldn't be the first one to notice a power loss or gain that was due to a floor mat interfering with the pedal.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. I disconnected the batteries for an hour to do a KAM reset and everything works as it should. I also removed the pedal and lubed the pivot point as it was squealing a bit.

Now I'm off to order some custom tunes from innovative diesel for when my studs are installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.