Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Studders then does, starts right back up

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  LoxDiesel 
#1 · (Edited)
Studders then dies, starts right back up

I hate making these posts. I searched a good hour using the Google search up top and couldn't find anything very solid. So here goes...

Driving home from work, my daily 20 mile drive cruising anywhere between 60-65. Notice the truck start to LIGHTLY buck, cruise is set and everything looks normal. As time goes by I notice it more and more. Maybe two miles after I wrote it off as paranoia I can longer deny it. Start looking for places to pull off. EGTs start to go nuts, engine load going up and down erratically, FICM volts are staying above 48v and battery voltage is above 13.4. I have noticed my battery volts seems to jump around, never getting alarmingly low, but bouncing from 13.2-14 and everywhere in between. Anyway, tap the brakes and it sputters and dies, same exact way it did when I got a cylinder 1 contribution code. Pull it off and as I get slow it dies. At the time it died engine load was at 99% and EGTs were all over. So it's dead, pop the hood, no fluids, no burning smells, no degas puke, looks like a healthy truck. Shut the hood and go to crank and it starts right back up, drive the few miles home like it never happened.

So...where do I go now with no codes? Just wait for it to croak and deal with it? I replaced the #1 injector, it didn't look too bad. Also recently cleaned the EGR, it was dirty but nothing horrible. Drove a 600 mile trip with no issues at all over Memorial Day.

Any help is awesome.

-Kyle

See less See more
#5 ·
ICP V and PSI appear normal.

I'm honestly starting to suspect fuel pump. Last time this happened it threw a cylinder 1 code. Swapped the injector. I was at about 1/4 oft 44 gallon tank. Happened again yesterday at same fuel level. Perhaps time for a sump.

Attachments

#8 ·
Nobody?

Made it home okay today.

Suspecting something in the fuel delivery. Gonna get a fuel pressure gage so and wire that in. I also have a feeling something in the tank isn't right.

#10 ·
Fuel filters were done about 6,000 miles ago. Changing oil and fuel filters in a week or two. When I did the fuel filters they were clean.

I'm gonna keep an eye on it. My "straw" in the tank could just be messed up. I put 33 gallons into this morning and it ran fine today. No sign of a studder, gave it some WOT runs.

I'm surprised nobody else has experienced this before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.