Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Wrench warning light and eot/ect with egr delete

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JorgeCanek 
#1 ·
My 06 f250 had 84,000 miles on it when I bought it 3 months ago and now has almost 90,000 and has been problem free. The truck was bulletproofed(head studs and other) before I bought it and I have all receipts. One thing it does not have is an coolant filter and still has the ford gold coolant I presume. Not sure why they didn't do this when they did the other but I will soon put an coolant filter on it, not sure if I want to chance the oil cooler by flushing the coolant and putting in the good stuff though. Suggestions?

Anyway after I towed my 2 jetskis today(light load) for about 30 mins and dropped them off, on the way home not towing the wrench warning light came on. My eot was 220 and my ect was 194 per my live wire ts. Is the 15* difference still a big deal since my truck has an egr delete? I'm thinking this is what the light was for although it has been more than 15 apart on more than one occasion. I towed an enclosed trailer for about 6 hours to the beach a month ago and it was fine. If there is a bigger problem about to happen I'm all for fixing it now but hopefully it will stay off next time I drive it.

#2 ·
mine did that once. the turbo was dirty. i got lucky and started using cetane boost and drove the pizz out of it and it cleared itself up, never to be seen since...

did your boost spike?

#3 ·
It could have I'm not sure. Does the "performance" setting that comes on the sct tuner change boost levels at all? I see upper 20s maybe 30 quite often on the factory dash gauge but it has never given me a problem before. I set the truck back to the stock tune for now to see how it does but haven't driven it yet. I ordered rev-x for my oil and fuel and it should be here tomorrow! I'm excited to try this stuff out

#4 ·
sometimes the canned tunes can trigger funky things to happen. 30psi is on the high side. you don't have that many miles, but its possible there is wear on your unison ring. Do you let your truck idle a lot? the turbo needs to be exercized a lot on these, so drive it with a little extra "flogging" every once in a while to help keep the vanes clear and clean. The nature of the VG turbo can cause problems on trucks that idle a lot as there are a lot of moving parts and extra spaces for exhaust to settle in and cause problems that you wouldn't find on a non-VG turbo.

if you set it back to stock, and there's no more problems, you may have found your issue. If it was defueling, there could have been another problem lurking.

good luck!

#5 ·
a few observations
a "Bulletproofed truck" has no internal oil cooler
you have a partially Bulletproofed truck with studs and a egr delete

you need n oil cooler IMHO or at least I would flush /back flush / flush/ back flush flush
and go ELC then see if it improved if not I would do the cooler and filter reuse my new ELC

depending on your PCM flash you have the EOT temps you seeing can reduce power

#6 ·
If your oil gets too hot, you will melt all of the plastic pieces inside the oil flow.

I've seen clogged oil cooler housings, they are clogged with the oil filter stand pipe. Most of this failures lead to a main bearing failure or other, because you lose all your base pressure, wich also lubricates the engine.

If your engine stops, please, don't crank it over and over and over, you might be out of base pressure and you will be cranking it without any lubrication while hot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.