Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Coolant puking only after new oil cooler and egr delete....Need advice.

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  4506.0 
#1 ·
I'm going to start off by explaining my sequence of events on my truck and I'm going to go ahead and apologize for this long drawn out story. I just bought it in March. It's a 2004.5 with 97,000. Completely stock 1 owner Florida truck. It was owned by an old farmer until he decided to go and buy a new 6.7.

Anyway, about a month after owning it, I noticed that the cooling fan would run at random times. Like when I first started it in the mornings and the engine was cold, or just normal cruising at 55 mph not towing anything. It didn't do it all the times though just maybe every couple of days. Well I decided to take the truck to Shivers diesel injection here in Tallahassee to get a diagnostic ran on it and they said that the fan clutch is bad and needs to be replaced. They also found out that my oil temp was running 230 degrees and my coolant temp was 188 degrees. Saying that my oil cooler was close to failure and needs to be replaced.

So with that being said I immediately focused on the oil cooler and decided to put off the fan clutch because I'm very aware of the problems from these 6.0 trucks and wanted to make sure it didn't get worse. I work on all my own vehicles and consider myself a very good mechanic. I did a complete coolant flush with restore and restore+, then flushed it about 10 times with distilled water. I did a new oem oil cooler kit and a sinister egr delete from mkm customs then filled it up with Zerex Cat EC-1 with distilled water to the minimum line. I also put a new degas cap on it from advance. I got the SCT X4 also and have been running it on the stock tune. I mainly use it monitor my deltas after the new oil cooler. Now keep in mind that I was having no problem with coolant puking before this.

I went for a drive after the install and everything seemed fine. After driving for about 20 mins at 55mph the coolant temp was 188 and the oil was 208. It went down considerably from 238 doing the same normal 55mph run. I was thinkin was fixed but now I'm not sure if that is where the deltas should be at under normal driving.

After about a week I noticed I there was some coolant around the degas cap and I started to get some rpm surging at cruising speeds and sometimes when idling. When I would slow down for a stop light it would give an rpm bump and surge for a second then go back to normal idling. It only does this on rare occasions though not all the time with both puking coolant and surging. It seems to be only doing the puking when I drive long distances like around 100 miles or so.

Yesterday I did a coolant head gasket test yesterday running a small radiator hose into the cab with a psi gauge. I went for a 30 min drive giving full throttle a different times and putting a load on it going up some hills and the coolant pressure never got over 10 psi. I came back and let it idle and the psi stayed around 4 even when I would give full throttle. The last time that it puked I drove from Tallahassee, FL to Adel, Ga which was 72 miles of driving. Did that 2 weeks ago. It's only been puking a little bit of coolant. I haven't had to refill the degas bottle yet after a month since I did the new oil cooler. The level has only dropped a half inch below the minimum line. My fan clutch is still bad and still comes on at random times.

So can anyone give me a little insight on what I've got going on with my truck? Ive got no leaks of anything around the oil cooler or egr delete. I was thinking it might be a headgasket but that doesn't seem like that from the gasket test and it seems odd to me that it would fail right after a new oil cooler. I had no problems with coolant puking before this. And I think the random rpm surging is from a bad IPR or ICP. Again I apologize for the long story and would appreciate any input.

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm having a very similar problem- After doing a coolant flush, my truck started smoking real bad and so I replaced the EGR with a bulletproof cooler and put a new oil cooler in and now it still smokes. I haven't checked to see if my coolant has puked, but the coolant level has not dropped after driving 30 miles since the new oil/egr coolers. I guess my next step would be to test the headgaskets with a tester..?

#5 ·
Shef,
Is the truck simply getting hot from the bad fan? Last fan I did was on a F-550 dump and at highway speeds they will start to get hot and puke out. Once the fan was done it never did it again. Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.