Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Rough start

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  strokersixo 
#1 ·
Just got a 6.0 and when I start it after it's sat all night it runs like crap and sometimes shuts off. If I hold it at about 1k rpm for a few seconds then it runs fine. Any ideas? New to powerstrokes

#5 ·
Sounds like injector stiction. Basically varnish builds on the spool valve and they stick. Rev-x and Archoil are well known for curing that. Short of a new injector the next thing is polishing the spool valves, that's a sticky in the 6.0 General section.

What are your FICM volts on startup? Do either of you have a way to monitor engine vitals besides the stock gauges? The FICM could be weak causing rough starts. Or the battery's/alternator could be holding the FICM back.

#7 ·
Do you have any sort of smartphone/tablet? You can get a Bluetooth OBDII plug off eBay or Amazon and download an app to see your engine vitals. There's tons more info in the "Monitoring your 6.0" sticky in the General Discussion section. It's hard to tell without real time numbers. Are you able to pull codes? You can go to an auto parts store and they'll scan for you.

#9 ·
po269 cyl 3 contribution/balance
po278 cyl 6 contribution/balance
po401 egr doesn't match desired, probably dirty/sticking
p1000 drive cycle not complete
p2290 This is the first time to see that code ICP is too low pcm useing default values.
Now I always new it would do this but never saw a code that told you were
actually doing that. LOL Ya learn sumthin every day.

#10 ·
Well seems like you could use new sticks in the 3 and 6 spots. That kind of sucks since they're not on the same side. You could try rev-x or putting a ton of diesel kleen right in the fuel filter housing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.