Originally Posted by firemedic355
So I'm really starting to worry about my 6.0 not that I'm at 120k miles. I run the EDGE juice system on it, it usually stays on level 1. I try to drice normal most of the time but make her earn her keep about 10% of the time. So I'm considering doing head studs before a blown head gasket gets me stranded. I can find an ARP stup kit for about $375. I have 4 main quiestions about the possible upgrade:
1. Do I really need to do it or should I just wait for my head gaskets to blow?
2. If I do it before my head gaskets blow do I need to replace them with new ones since the head gaskets alone cost $400?
3. Is it true the studs can be put in by droping the motor off the mounts and tilting it forward while jacking the back of it up? That way the motor isn't pulled out.
4. What is a reasonable price to pay to have head studs installed?
1. no you can wait cause it seems like you drive easy.
2. i would replace them. 120k on it, it would be good to do
3. i heard a couple people doing it this way but people say one at a time is not a good way to do it.
4. my mechanic told me $1200to $1500 for labor, gaskets, and fluids to do it. me buying studs