First Diesel - Runs 5 and Quits - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red face First Diesel - Runs 5 and Quits

This is my first diesel truck. I will be honest I dont know s**t-I love this truck. I have owed for about 2 years and have had all the regular maint. done. I have Approx 85400 on a 2003 F-250 6.0. I know after 2 years I should know a little more than I do but I quit my job and started a little co. and just have not had the time - Anyways here is my problem - any insite would be greatly appreciated! Truck at first sign of problem would not go over 50 MPH. ( Had Turbo Replace 11 Months ago or so ) 15 miles later dead. I have been back to the truck now two days laying in the slush (MN) changing fuel filters draining the water plug at a rest stop ( Truck still there - must move by Mon Tow back home is $250 ) If I leave the truck sit for 6-8 minutes it will start up harder than normal and run with a little shake - 8-12 minutes before bogging down and dying. Here is the kicker ( most likely in my rear) That little co I started is a mechanical contracting co which replaces fuel oil furnaces and removes tanks. During our recent 4.25 per gallon spurt I started running this with a 25% gas station blend until it got cold then I went to 50% Gelling is not the problem as today when I lye in the slush it was 22 degrees. I figured the filter was plugged but didnt solve anything. Any Ideas - Sorry so long - I am a service guy myself and know the devil is in the details!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 06:17 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds like your fuel oil may have done in your Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) or Injection Control Pressure (ICP) sensor, but you definitely have a fueling/injection problem. Without access to the correct diagnostic tools, you would be guessing and throwing parts at the problem. You should consider getting it towed to a dealership or another reputable diesel shop who can diagnose this correctly. Good luck!

PS. You may want to try to contact Dave (one of our moderators) who is also from Minnesota. He may be able to point you to a good shop or to someone else who may know one in the area.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:26 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Chad where in MN are you? If you are in the Winona area I know of a few places to take it. If you are in the twin cities area. I would go to Boyer trucks in savage. I have a friend thats a tech there.

If you are in the Winona area PM me and I can probably come help you out
Old 12-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies - I live in Superior, WI but the truck is stranded in Stergeon Lake, MN I am having the truck towed to the dealership which I am not to happy with to begin with ( Benna Ford in Superior ) Do you know if I will have any issues with the warranty given the fuel? I dont think so but ya never know. Thanks again!!!
Old 03-31-2009, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Finally Solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Here is what happened if anyone is still interested. Towed truck to mechanic and he could not communicate with computer. He burnt up the started trying to figure it out. Replaced starter. Towed to Maney International in Duluth, Mn. After all this is an international engine. They cannot fix it because there is not a code coming up. Reluctantly towed to dealer that I have some bad experiances with and I was 1 month out of warrranty of course. Anyways after a **** ton of labor costs the manager tells me the technician "thinks" I have a bad injector, and was wanting my ok for them to remove the valve covers to investigate. By now I wanted to tell him to throw a stick of dynamite into it but gave the go ahead. Dealer called me back and advised me of two bad injectors ( both right side ) And would cost around 900 to fix. Again gave the ok. Later that week recieved a call from the service manager telling me the two injectors were replaced and the truck still had a slight shake and bog to it and a third injector needed to be changed out. Again thought of explosives but reluctantly gave the ok. Manger calls the next day and truck is finally done and ready for pick up. My wife drove me to the dealership and dropped me off. Went in to see my friends at the service dept. where they informed me my truck wouldnt start!!! I run outside to get my wife only to see here round the corner...
The starter that was put in at the other mechanic was no longer starting the truck. ( Total of about 10 starts on the starter ) The dealer was nice enough to let me get a starter and installed it at no charge the truck has had no problems since - Still love this truck - Thanks for the help
You Ever need refrigeration, heating or AC info drop a line.
Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.