Starting Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 06:57 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting Problem

Today I went out to try and start my truck, and I turned the key and she just clicked. So I hooked the jumper cables up to my brothers truck and we had them hooked up for about 10mins, and she still wouldn't start. I had my livewire hooked up for about 20hrs, but the thing has never drained the batt in the past. Its usually hooked up for 48hrs or 72hrs straight and it doesn't drain at all. Now another strange thing is my cord for my block heater I tried plugging it in tonight and it tripped the breaker in every outlet I put it into. I had a problem like that about a year ago, and it was a faulty block heater, now I cant believe that is the problem. I got the battery charger on my girl right now so hopefully that'll charge the batts. I'm hoping that the batts are still good, because I don't want to have to change them already.
Any ideas?

Thanks.
-BG06.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

You need to load test both batteries individually, most likely they will fail the test. There may also be a parasitic draw, but start by checking batteries. You also need a new block heater.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:20 AM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Well, I know now that there is something wrong with the batteries. I used that battery charger on my truck and it wouldn't completely charge it after 24hrs. But she started up. But since then the batteries have been doing the same thing, and I've had trouble starting since then. A couple of things that I need to do is get the batteries and alternator tested, then I need to put a switch in that will allow me to turn my compressor on/off just so it doesn't start building pressure as soon as the key is turned, because that draws a lot.

As for the block heater, I found out that the outlets I was trying to plug into, weren't rated for the power that the block heater pulls (was at my parents for the holidays). So I guess I just have to set a time up to get those batteries tested.
Thanks.

-BG06.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.