Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Power steering problem

6K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  Rattlesnake18 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 F350 PSD. 8" lift 37" tires. Been driving it for 5 years like this and the truck now has 110K miles on it. Feb 1 the steering wheel locked up and would not turn. It was towed to a ford garage in CLT. They replaced the power steering pump and it worked normal again,

On Feb 15 the passenger front u jount ripped itself out of the truck and at the same time the steering locked up again. Towed to the ford garage in PIT. They replaced the u joint, short and long passernger front drive shafts, front right ball joints, power steering pump again and the power steering gear box.

The truck is very hard to steer after it left the ford garage. On Feb 25 the Hydroboost unit was changed. No effect. Removed the power steering cooler and put a bypass hose in its place for trouble shooting, no change. Cleaned the filter in the resivior, no change. Fluid clean, fresh and red in color.

When the front end is jacked up the steering works good until you apply the breaks and the steering is hard to turn. If you boost the RPMs up to 1200 everything works good.

I lubed every front end joint last night and this morning in reverse the steering worked flawlessly but in drive still have the same issue. Help

See less See more
#2 ·
If you press the brake, does the steering gets worse? I mean, with the front jackked up

#4 ·
It could be the Steering Pump Relief Valve, the Steering Pump or some hoses.

I would suggest you to check the pressure of the pump with a adecuate manometer.

#5 ·
I dont have a manometer. I will schedule in to try to get the pressurers read. Ford has not been any help. This system is fairly straight forward, im leaning towared a colapsed line. I dont think any of the lines are coming apart because the oil and filter have been clean.

#6 ·
Do you still have brake pressure? Can you make a 60-0 stop??

If you can, it means that something between the Hydro and the Box is not ok, probably the pressure is not as much as you need to operate both of them, you need 2500PSI, or probably the pressure line from the Hydro to the Box is collapsed

#8 ·
Yep, do so, eventually you will have to change it, it's one of the most common lines to change, the teflon breaks and it starts leaking a lot of ATF.

But once again, you should check the pressure, because i've had bombs fail even tho they are new, HPOPS, LPOP and Power Steering Pumps.

#12 ·
So to finish this post, the day I was going to pick the truck up from Huntersville ford and take it to Town and Country Ford, Huntersville Ford call me and said there was a miss communication and that they would fix the truck. They put another power steering pump on it and it drives now like a new truck. $3k, complete new power steering system and the truck steers again. To the person who is rebuilding these Ford power steering pumps, you suck.

#13 ·
$3k to replace the pump?!?!?!?

#15 ·
I did read the entire thread, I just miss read the last post.

I just think it's crazy what they charge to do some of the work these days. A buddy of mine was quoted around $500-$600 to replace hi powersteering pump on his 05. I laughed because I replaced mine on my 04 for lest than $75 and about two hours of my time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.