front end 04 f-250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 04:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
front end 04 f-250

ok i found a vac leak on the front end where the 4 bolts hold disc on by the ujoint is because the seal isnt pushed on all the way or a bad seal i changed the ball joints a while back and when i pulled the hub apart where the holes are for the vacume there are where marks like the two pieces are rubbing please help or should i beat the seal on more can anyone help me find a diagram for this thanks for helping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke Techie

When reinstalling the PVH seals, the proper method for reinstallation is to use the special seal driver tool to reinstall, failing which you experience the exact symptom you describe in your post. This is also the very reason why I ALWAYS check 4x4 operation whenever I replace ball joints on these trucks.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:00 PM

thanks

sould i pull it all apart or can i just get a seal driver and hit it on more so the problem is because the seal isnt on all the way thanks for replying so quick or do i need a new seal can i get the tool at autozone or checker
Old 12-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

If the metal portion of the seal is bent in any way, you'll need to replace the seal. The tool numbers for the seal driver are as follows: 205-199 (T83T-3132-A1) for the driver handle, and 205-429 for the actual seal driver itself. Those numbers are the Ford/OTC tool numbers. You can probably order them through MOTORCRAFT® PARTS FOR FORD, LINCOLN OR MERCURY VEHICLES but the cost will probably make it more worthwhile for you to "borrow" one if you can.

Last edited by m-chan68; 12-20-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:16 PM

thanks

its not bent but a little wore in the middle not to bad do i need to pull the shaft out or can i beat it on with the tool

Last edited by jmartinez; 12-20-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Powerstroke Techie

You remove the hub lock, and the hub & bearing assembly. You tap the driver handle and driver onto the seal OVER the shaft during installation.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:28 PM

thanks

so i dont need to knock the ball joints loose and pull the shaft just tap it on do i need to wedge a bar behind the ujoint to keep it from moving
Old 12-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The driver handle is hollow. It goes OVER the shaft with the seal driver. If you look at what the tool looks like, its purpose will become immediately self-evident.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:46 PM

ok

i get that thanks but do i need to pull the shaftout of the front end or just hit it while it is still in there just looking for specifics so i dont screw it up again does the shaft need to be tight against the back after im done thanks for all your replies
Old 12-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Set your front axle in the "straight" position. The seal driver itself, is STEPPED for the purpose of seating the seal assembly in the EXACT proper orientation into the steering knuckle as you hammer it until it "bottoms out". The shaft position doesn't matter, until after you've reinstalled the hub & bearing assembly. At this point, is when you pry on the back side of the u-joint on the shaft, tight against the back side of the hub for the purpose of enabling reinstallation of the spacers and snap ring onto the groove of the outboard side of the shaft. The final step being the reinstallation of the wheel hublock assembly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.