White Smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question White Smoke

I have a 2006 f250 diesel. about 2 months ago i started to notice some white smoke when i would start the truck in the morning. I took it to a dealer they changed the egr valve and sain the smoking stopped. The next morning when i started the truck it started smoking again. I then took it to the dealer i bought the truck from the put in the new update and sain it was fixed. Before i got home i noticed that when i stopped at a red light and then left when the light turned green the truck would spit out a big cloud of white smoke. The next morning when i started the truck it started smoking again. I returned to the dealer this time they checked the oil and said that the oil level was 4 quarts over filled. They said their was to much oil in the truck and thats why it was smoking. I left with the truck and it continues to smoke when i leave an intersection or thr truck idles for a short time. I then return to the dealer this morning drop off the truck and get a call later saying that the smoke is normal and that nothing is wrong with the truck. does anybody have a clue what could be causing the truck to smoke. I think its a bad injector. Besides the smoke the truck runs great. Please any feed back would be helpfull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Banned

any coolant purge from the degas bottle cap?? Does it smoke only cold or at all times?? Absolutely no rough runnung or power concerns cold??
Old 12-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Marc

No purge from cap. Smokes all the time. no ruff idle of power loss. Truck runs fine.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Banned

id almost bet your EGR cooler is failing......if it were headgaskets it would only smoke under load...and if it were fuel related (injector) it would not smoke white after it was warm
Old 12-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Marc
What do i tell the dealer? Should i tell them to check the cooler?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Banned

tell them you smell coolant and are seeing white smoke out the exhaust...that should be good enough
Old 12-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Marc you have been very helpfull.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

White Smoke

I have a 206 F350 an have gone through this problem several times. The dealer thought it was the EGR cooler, but after it was changed, the massive white smoke continued. I ended up modifying the engine with head studs, larger injectors and a larger turbo and it went away. I initially thought it may be a leaky turbo seal, but it really did not smell like oil, it smelled like unburnt diesel. I now believe it was a bad injector. Unfortunatley, 6 months later, it is now blowing massive white smoke in the morning while cold and runs very rough until warmed up and then it runs smooth and no smoke. I read alot about it on the internet and it is unburnt diesel caused by one of many things. One could be a device that amps up the 12 volt battery to 48 volts for the glow plugs. If a battery went bad an strained this device, the electronics could have worn out quickly. My battery went bad about one month ago. I have a TSB on that, which cme out in 12/08. Another thing could be another device. Finally, an injector could be bad. Email me at mdbreaux@eatel.net and I can refer you to these issues and the TSB. I have not identified the cause of my problem yet, but I will. I also know a Ford Diesel tech and will call him. It is unburnt fuel. Michael.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2006 F250 6.0 Lt diesel that blows white smoke like crazy especially in the cold. I have replaced the injectors and changed the EGR valve. It still smokes alot! The mechanic that did the work told me it was probably my EGR cooler now! Is he correct or what this is starting to cost alot of money!!!

Last edited by TSN569; 02-13-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it is also going through alot of engine coolant!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.