Puking Antifreeze - EGR or Head Gaskets? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Puking Antifreeze - EGR or Head Gaskets?

I've got an '03 6.0 with a Banks 6-gun. Heading out West to go sledding, towing a 24' tailer with 2 sleds going up a fairly steep grade - probably around 7500' altitude (maybe pulling a little harder than I should have) I heard a loud POP from under the hood (it wasn't the bag of potato chips - which also exploded). Anyway, I immediately started losing power but I was cresting the top of the hill and as I came down, I regained power and all seemed fine.

Since then, I've had issues with losing coolant (puking out of the overflow). I've been able to drive it (nicely) without losing coolant but even though I keep the overflow full to the proper level, I'm losing heat in the cab also. This happens after the truck has been warmed up for 10 minutes (I'm in MN) and then has been driven for a few miles. It's blowing hot air when I get in it but after driving a little way and letting off the gas (at a stoplight) it'll start blowing cold air. Even after getting on the freeway - if I let off the gas it'll blow cold. This continues until the truck has been running for say around 25 - 30 minutes and then seems to subside.

My question is this: Is this and EGR issue or a headgasket issue? (or both?). What's the best way to figure out what it is? I've got a buddy (someone brighter than me) who's going to help me do an EGR delete this weekend. I'd love to replace the head gaskets and put in ARP studs but obviously, that's a bit of work and I don't have a lot of time before we're supposed to head out West again.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 01:23 PM

Anyone??
Old 12-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waz 6.0 View Post
I've got an '03 6.0 with a Banks 6-gun. Heading out West to go sledding, towing a 24' tailer with 2 sleds going up a fairly steep grade - probably around 7500' altitude (maybe pulling a little harder than I should have) I heard a loud POP from under the hood (it wasn't the bag of potato chips - which also exploded). Anyway, I immediately started losing power but I was cresting the top of the hill and as I came down, I regained power and all seemed fine.

Since then, I've had issues with losing coolant (puking out of the overflow). I've been able to drive it (nicely) without losing coolant but even though I keep the overflow full to the proper level, I'm losing heat in the cab also. This happens after the truck has been warmed up for 10 minutes (I'm in MN) and then has been driven for a few miles. It's blowing hot air when I get in it but after driving a little way and letting off the gas (at a stoplight) it'll start blowing cold air. Even after getting on the freeway - if I let off the gas it'll blow cold. This continues until the truck has been running for say around 25 - 30 minutes and then seems to subside.

My question is this: Is this and EGR issue or a headgasket issue? (or both?). What's the best way to figure out what it is? I've got a buddy (someone brighter than me) who's going to help me do an EGR delete this weekend. I'd love to replace the head gaskets and put in ARP studs but obviously, that's a bit of work and I don't have a lot of time before we're supposed to head out West again.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Steve
I had the Banks 6 Gun on my truck. I blew the cooler and 6 out of 8 cylinders on the head gaskets. It sounds like the cooler went but wouldn't be surprised if it took the gaskets with it.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:43 PM

What was going on when you blew the cooler? How was the truck running/what was it doing that led you to figure out what was wrong?

I don't appear to be blowing white smoke but I do have issues with intermittent heat in the cab until the truck is really warm.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
What was going on when you blew the cooler? How was the truck running/what was it doing that led you to figure out what was wrong?

I don't appear to be blowing white smoke but I do have issues with intermittent heat in the cab until the truck is really warm.
When mine went I had the 6 Gun turned to the SL setting but wasn't towing. I took iff from a stop light hard and it jerked real hard and starting gushing white smoke from the exhaust. It was only running on 5 cylinders because 3 injectors let go. I know you can blow the head gaskets on these trucks and not have a running issue. Sounds like a combination of both. The cooler may just be cracked and not totally blown yet.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:58 PM

I was planning to do an EGR delete this weekend - in hopes that it would solve the problem. My buddy's friend works on diesels - he said that a large number of the 6.0's he's seen come in for head gaskets are really only bad EGR's. I've read about all the bad HG's on the 6.0's - I suppose I should just bite the bullet and do HG's and studs anyway - just to be sure. I don't have the time or expertise at the moment. We'll see what happens after the EGR delete.

Obviously you didn't have time to notice any of the things I've been experiencing as you shut down immediately. I want to be careful not to do any more damage before things are fixed.

So, if the HG's are blown - that would be the only reason why I'd see the white smoke, right? As of now, I don't see any - I'm only puking out the degas bottle. But that's getting more frequent - even though I'm not stressing the motor.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
I was planning to do an EGR delete this weekend - in hopes that it would solve the problem. My buddy's friend works on diesels - he said that a large number of the 6.0's he's seen come in for head gaskets are really only bad EGR's. I've read about all the bad HG's on the 6.0's - I suppose I should just bite the bullet and do HG's and studs anyway - just to be sure. I don't have the time or expertise at the moment. We'll see what happens after the EGR delete.

Obviously you didn't have time to notice any of the things I've been experiencing as you shut down immediately. I want to be careful not to do any more damage before things are fixed.

So, if the HG's are blown - that would be the only reason why I'd see the white smoke, right? As of now, I don't see any - I'm only puking out the degas bottle. But that's getting more frequent - even though I'm not stressing the motor.
Actually, the EGR cooler is what normally causes the white smoke. Do the EGR delete and the get a pressure tester. Pressurize the system and see if it holds. If not, head gaskets are probably the cause.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:10 PM

Great - thanks for the info. I'll give it a whirl this weekend. I see that you're off Banks. I'm just curious because I'm running a Banks system - Do you think the issues were caused by your Banks system or just the weakness in the EGR and headbolts inherent to the 6.0? I don't mean to bash Banks, I run it and appreciate the resulting power but I don't want to damage my engine either.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:11 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

When my bro's 04's cooler went out it was leaking AF out the exhaust. His HG's did go out afterwards though. His truck was overheating when this happend. The temp would just spike really quick and only back down when he let out of it. Where in MN are you? I am in North Branch.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:13 PM

I'm in Mpls - Actually St. Anthony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.