no boost (none) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy no boost (none)

Please Help me!!!
Truck: 03' f250 6.0 automatic
mods: EGR Delete kit
New Stage 1 Garrett turbo w/ new VGT
SCT SF3 Programmer
Replaced: Installed EGR Delete kit, oil cooler, flywheel, torque converter, all steering components and bushings. ICP sensor

Problem: Truck has never had a lot of take off power or bottom end. So I replaced the turbo as we thought it was stuck i.e. vgt. Then still no bottom end. So I read on here and replaced the ICP and turns out it was bad, passing oil through it. I have had the truck only since may of last year and only put on about 3-5000 mi on it. Every so often with the old turbo the truck would not get boost and I would change programming modes with the sct and then all better (never no bottom end though). So I learned that I should be hearing the turbo whistle or run at idle, and have good take off power, so I realized something was wrong. I was getting codes P0046 and Keep alive memory. replaced turbo, came with new vgt. No boost still, then took out pcm checked connections, am getting power to vgt (used the pinpoint test), and put it back and worked no codes, but no bottom end power i.e. no real boost until about 2600 rpm then whoosh off i'd go like a rocket. So I replaced ICP sensor, and now get codes P0046 and Keep alive memory. checked connections at vgt and tried again and still no boost, tried reprogramming and no boost. Should I go ahead and order a new PCM or what should I do. Also where is the EBP sensor, I was going to check it and Don't know where it is, or if it is part of the EGR system. Please help me, Thanks and GOD Bless.
Mr. Darryll M, Stovall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check the map sensor and the hose running to it. Mine blew the fitting out of the manifold (it was loose) and the pcm decided there was no boost so it wouldn't give the engine anymore fuel. If the hose is plugged it might take to 2600 rpm for it to register. Never threw an error code either.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Premium Member

EBP is mounted to the Thermostat housing on the front of the engine (where the top radiator hose mounts to the engine). Check that plug, pull the sensor and see if its caked with soot. Also start it and make sure its getting flow and not gummed up. Good Luck
Old 03-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks I finally found that it's not getting good connection at the vgt plug. So now the turbo starts running in at about 2200 rpm's with the stage 1 turbo. But still doesn't have any real bottom end until that, and I checked: and have no exhaust leaks so we can eliminate that. Anyone out there have a 6.0 that has good bottom end below 2200 rpms? If so when does your's kick in.. It seems absurd that they go to all the trouble to build that turbo with the variable geometry veins and it doesn't have any more power than that on the bottom end.. or doesn't kick in faster without all that lag.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

no boost (none)

Honestly its an 03 thing. My brothers truck is 03 and it has a performance tune on it. I just put injectors in it today, test drove it. It doesn't have a great bottom end. Top end is stellar though. I believe it has something to do with the VGT strategy in this year truck. Looking at everything that's measured no wonder it takes so long.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-28-2014, 05:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

plug a good egr valve in the plug for it, then listen for the vanes to start sweeping. may take a few minutes. mine will smoke the tires from a dead stop, its an 03.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite rider View Post
plug a good egr valve in the plug for it, then listen for the vanes to start sweeping. may take a few minutes. mine will smoke the tires from a dead stop, its an 03.
Egr is deleted

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are the vanes sweping on your turbo that is my question.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
boost, egr, icp, pcm, vgt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.