Low fuel mileage and no answers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 03:48 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low fuel mileage and no answers

Alright, you can see my mods in my signature and I can't get more than 12 mpg. And for the last few months its been like 10. I got like 8 pulling a 5000 lb camper from chicago to Billings, MT running Vivian's tow agressive. Not sure how much it matters but i have the VXCF4 strategy that PHP prefers. Also, the truck is a manual transmission. and on 285 65 18's and the tune and revs per mile are calibrated correctly.

Ive checked brakes and hubs, they are all loose and free and everything spins very easily.

I just ran down the highway at 80 for 30 miles and my turbo did stick and I had like 1-2 PSI for 5 miles until it freed up and then it ran at 10ish PSI at about 42% engine load. EBP was at 160kPa and manifold pressure stayed right with it while the VGT was stuck, and then when the turbo freed up the ebp would stay roughly 20-30 kPa higher than the manifold pressure. Does this seem like normal levels, and does it seem like an appropriate relationship between the 2? If i floored it it would hit mid 20's PSI with no problem (when the VGT wasn't stuck).

Any idea's what I have going on? Is it just the turbo even though usually it doesn't stick (noticeably)? Or do i just not notice that the turbo is sticking a little all the time and that's killing MPG?

Any advice on keeping the old strategy or updating to the current one?

I don't know enough to figure this out, any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 08:03 PM

Is it that obvious that it is the turbo, should I look no further and start researching turbos?
Old 03-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Could be just a sticky turbo. Did you check your map sensor hose along with your bps line? This could cause a drop in mpg, clogged fuel filters could also. just few things to check. Keep us posted.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-28-2014, 09:22 AM

I cant do it right away but I'm thinking Barder stage 1 for a turbo replacement. What should I expect for performance increases over a stock turbo with Looney wild tuning? Should I see lower egt's? better fuel economy (than a properly operating stock turbo)?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

Check this thread out.

WPE/KC DIY Turbo Kits - Testers Needed

Nate and Charlie know their chit and those racer cover look amazing. I'm not knocking mtw or barder but I think they machine your parts whereas the DIY kit include new parts. There are a lot of options, good luck.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:42 AM

I saw that thread last week but i thought it wouldn't be an option for me because the problem with my turbo is that the pivot hole for the VGT actuator is worn out. The DIY kit wont replace that center section of the turbo will it? Also, has Vivian tuned any of these or is it similar enough to another turbo to use that tuning?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:51 AM
Serving Our Country!

Yeah your right but for that matter I don't think any builder can do that, you would probably be better off buying a used turbo and build from a stock charger.

Vivian writes real good tunes and if you baby the truck you will save fuel but wildmans and bills are awesome too. I run bills 140x from php and I get about 20mpg and wildman's is the same. I like bills and Tonys tunes because of throttle response and no light switch effect but this is just me. Vivian's tunes are strong though, it really is a personal preference or what your truck likes.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:27 AM

I was just reading your thread...or at least one you posted on about the 140x, sounds great. Yes vivian's tunes "light up" for sure, I think i would prefer a more smooth throttle response. One reason i would like to stick with vivian is that her tunes are free because i bought my iTSX from her. But i am running the old strategy(i didnt roll it back, it has always had it) which i know is Bill's preference so i wonder if his tune, with his atlas 40(which i have) would be the route to go. Vivian isnt pushy, but thinks i should probably get flashed to whatever the current strategy because her tunes are set up for it.

In what conditions do you get 20mpg? elevation? flat/hilly? highway/city/mix?

I think i will just keep the old turbo for a little while longer and go with the Barder stage 1 as a replacement.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

I just noticed you had larger injectors if I were you I would stick with a stock charger so you don't cause your transmission to implode.
My elevation is not a factor it is mainly flat out here and I get 20mpg on the highway, I commute 150 miles a day to and from work. In the city I average 16, I guess I'm a little more aggressive in the city.
I love my tune from bill and I think it works well with atlas 40 or 80 on my truck but every truck is different.
Me personally would rather have the truck running optimal then be concerned with fuel mileage. My truck runs top notch and feels real strong with all the upgrades and regular maintenance.
Strategy should not matter the tuner should be able to write over the pcm.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:22 PM

I have a manual transmission so I don't think I need to worry about it. When my clutch goes I might get a stronger one though.
I would be thrilled to get 16 in town! I have gotten 11-12. I agree that I want my truck to be running optimally, I think my 12 mpg is telling me that it isn't. We'll see what the turbo does when that time comes. And then maybe a different tune. I appretiate your input, it has been helpful for me figuring out what's going on and what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.