Oil Cooler ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 07:02 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Cooler ?

I could use some advice ! I have 2005 F250 6.0 with 190,000 miles , it has head studs , EGR delete, EGR cooler deleted. Replaced HP oil pump about 35,000 miles ago, has the 3rd oil cooler since I've owned the truck. I have a scanegauge II to monitor the EOT, ECT, TFT, Voltage. Yesterday towing boat (4500lb) deltas were EOT 197 / ECT 179, this morning took a real long crank to start and deltas ran EOT 192 / ECT 179-181 not towing. I think this points to a 4th oil cooler, but is there any other way to confirm besides deltas ?

Thanks, Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 08:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Your ECT seems low which could point to a thermostat. What coolant are you running?
Old 03-23-2014, 09:42 AM
information regurgitator

Not only what coolant are you running but how long have you been running it?

Have you flushed the block using chemicals? I ask if you did the flushes and not the garage that did the oil cooler replacements because you would look at them like they had 3 heads if they presented you with that bill. It takes about 8 hours.

The only explanation for going through oil cooler after oil cooler is that the cooling system is contaminated.
Do you run a coolant filter?
Old 03-23-2014, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the responses ! I've been running Rotella coolant, it was replaced the last time by the shop that did my head gaskets and studs a year ago. I'm surethey
Old 03-23-2014, 02:03 PM

Sorry ! I'm sure they didn't flush and I've only done it with distilled water twice since I've owned the truck. I do not have a coolant filter, yet !! Backing up !do my deltas say oil cooler? Is there anyway to confirm that ?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2014, 02:11 PM
information regurgitator

The ECT is too low, change the thermostat using either a Motorcraft thermostat or, if you run down to the local autoparts store, specify that you want a "fail open" thermostat. Recheck your deltas after replacement.

Keep in mind the 15F delta threshold is when the truck is unloaded. Towing, going up or down hills, or carrying heavy items in the bed will make the EOT higher. Higher engine load will = high EOT.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:14 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboat View Post
Thanks for the responses ! I've been running Rotella coolant, it was replaced the last time by the shop that did my head gaskets and studs a year ago. I'm sure they...
Don't be sure....unless they were told to, they probably didn't.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:19 AM

I’ve been watching youtube videos on chemical flushing and back flushing the oil cooler and heater core on the 6.0 , looks like something I need to do ! any input? When you back flush the cooler thru the intake where is the water dumping out, the block plug ? I’m hoping to save the oil cooler in my truck without replacing it. Any recommendations on a coolant filter, I’m looking at the Sinister
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.