F 250 running hot - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 10:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation F 250 running hot

Hi guys,
Ive got a 03' 6.0 F250. It has been bullet-proofed, and has had the FICM, and all new injectors less than 50,xxx miles ago. I recently changed my oil and hit the highway for about a three hour road trip. My EOT was running around 235 and my ECT around 218. Since then ive added coolant to my res to see if that made a difference, but it hasnt that much. Im worried to put this thing back on the interstate with a trip over an hr...what kind of troubleshooting routes should I take? It has never run that hot in the past.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 03:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bump for the afternoon / night crew as I am having a similar issue with more of a stock combination.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate7188 View Post
Hi guys,
Ive got a 03' 6.0 F250. It has been bullet-proofed, and has had the FICM, and all new injectors less than 50,xxx miles ago. I recently changed my oil and hit the highway for about a three hour road trip. My EOT was running around 235 and my ECT around 218. Since then ive added coolant to my res to see if that made a difference, but it hasnt that much. Im worried to put this thing back on the interstate with a trip over an hr...what kind of troubleshooting routes should I take? It has never run that hot in the past.
Thanks
We need a little more info, but it sounds like it may be a clogged oil cooler (failing).

Give us a more detailed list of your "bulletproofed" mods, and how long ago this started. How fast were you driving, for how long? What was the ambient temp? Were you towing? If so, how heavy?

Your EOT and ECT should be 5-8* from each other. Ford calls a 15* delta, a failed oil cooler (or failing).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ford diesel girl For This Useful Post:
Nate7188 (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

MODS: ARP headstuds, EGR delete (capped), FICM, AFE cold air intake, SCT Tune (running stock at the time of the issue), new injectors.

This was actually the first time it happened. I have just over 150K on it.
Speed: 65mph
Duration: Got hot at under 1hr of operation at previously mentioned speed. Trip was 3hrs.
Ambient temp: 76 F
Tow: none

Ill look into the oil cooler issue. Any tips for troubleshooting that piece?, or should I just replace the entire cooler?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Your oil cooler is junk for sure but you may have another issue. Are you puking coolant and that's why you had to add some? With those temps, I'd suspect a water pump issue like a cracked impeller around the shaft.
The Following User Says Thank You to dhanna6powerstroke For This Useful Post:
Nate7188 (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 08:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I guess the route im goin to take is to replace the oil cooler with an upgraded one, and since ive only got the cap on the EGR, I should probably upgrade that to the Bullet proofed EGR cooler. Right now, im looking at products on Bulletproofdiesel.com. Does anyone have any recommendations. Im deploying soon and want to do everything necessary once they have most of my engine area torn out.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Your oil cooler is junk for sure but you may have another issue. Are you puking coolant and that's why you had to add some? With those temps, I'd suspect a water pump issue like a cracked impeller around the shaft.
I think I was just low on coolant. Im goin to have the shop do a coolant flush as well when they replace some of the parts.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

When she gets hot do you hear the fan come on?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemiester View Post
When she gets hot do you hear the fan come on?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
When it got up to the aforementioned 235, I pulled over, popped the hood and could hear the fan. I cut it off and let it sit for about 20 minutes before I started back up.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you could had a oil cooler issue but first you need to fix the ECT issue then look into the EOT issue if it still exist. A couple things I would look at is a sticking thermostat, clogged radiator (see my spring cleaning Here ). It could also be the water pump as mentioned since a broken impeller that is slipping on the shaft could cause not only high ECT temps but low flow to the oil cooler leading to higher than normal EOT readings.
The Following User Says Thank You to U235a4 For This Useful Post:
Nate7188 (04-09-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.