Missing,smoke, then wont stop cranking?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 01:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Missing,smoke, then wont stop cranking?!

06 power stroke with auto trans. We drove it a bunch of miles over the weekend. Yesterday my girlfriend went to take the truck and told me it that it started up kinda rough so she shut it off. I get home and took a look. Started up and it was missing real bad and smoking blue,grey smoke pretty bad. I got it backed up out of the way. Check the ficm and things with the CTS. All looked good. Tried starting again and wouldn't start this time. Let off the key and its still cranking. Took the key out and ran in the garage to get a wrench to unhook the batteeys
Its still cranking at this point. Almost killed the battery's by the time I got them unhooked. What could these problems be? About 4-5 months ago just had new heads,studs,gaskets, warren injectors,03 billet wheel turbo blue spring done. About a year ago did egr delete and oil cooler. Any ideas? This thing is crazy! Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Got the starter to stop cranking by tapping on it. Still no clue on the other part. Maybe a bad injector or two?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

No codes? What does its vitals show when cranking? Icp, ipr, ficm, hfcm power, etc?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-18-2014, 11:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No codes with the cts or sct. ficm is 47.9-49.5v. Didnt get the check much more since the starter wouldnt shut off. Since I got that to stop I havent crancked on it anymore.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:17 AM
Premium Member

For the starter, your solenoid is probably fried. Based on the excessive cranking, you probably need to replace the whole starter.

Your other problem reads like injector issues. One big failure open, or 2 that are partially sticking open.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
For the starter, your solenoid is probably fried. Based on the excessive cranking, you probably need to replace the whole starter.

Your other problem reads like injector issues. One big failure open, or 2 that are partially sticking open.
I hope so. Just had warren do these 175's a couple months ago. Its just strange it happened over night. I'm gonna replace the starter.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Truck seems to be charging at around 12.0-12.4 volts at idle when I get it started but smokes bad and has a bad miss. Ficm voltage looks good at 47.5-49v. ICPv 1.4ish. Could it be a charging issue?
Old 03-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

If after 2 minutes it doesn't get above 13.4v, check it with another meter that is calibrated. Being that FICM v is good, a charging issue is not the cause of the roughness.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I doubt it would even run for two minutes honstly. Cant hardley get it to take any throttle. What else should I check for?
Old 03-20-2014, 05:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
IMHO I would highly advise for you to get a diagnostic scanner of some kind if you don't have one. I recently bought an auto enginuity scanner and it paid for itself the first time I used it. If I had gotten one sooner I would have saved myself even more money because I actually would have had trouble shooting capability with the scanner as opposed to just throwing parts at it. There is only so much that you can do without one.

edit: I just saw that you have a CTS but I am not familiar with them. Does it have the ability to monitor the ipr duty cycle and icp pressure?

Last edited by E99F350Stroker; 03-20-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.