6.0 Starts, Idles, then shuts off shortly after starting..won't restart - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Starts, Idles, then shuts off shortly after starting..won't restart

Truck: I have a 2005 6.0L F-250 Crew Cab King Ranch. In the last year I deleted the EGR, added an SCT SF3 kit, and change injectors.

My issue happens when the truck is cold and sits overnight. I turn the key, wait for glow plug lights to go out and then start the truck. The truck starts a little rough, but in normal timing. If I let the truck run for 20 minutes while I go back in the house, I've never had this problem. However, 3 times in the last 2 months I've started the engine, let it idle for about 30 seconds and when I put it in gear and start to slowly accelerate, the car chokes out and dies. After it dies, it won't start. Sometimes for 2 days. At first I check batteries, one was bad so I changed both. Still didn't start right up. Waited one day and it just randomly started. Next time, it happened on a Thursday and couldn't get it started with multiple tries throughout the day. Had it towed to the shop on a Friday and on Monday the mechanic called and said it started right up. He did trouble shooting and said the voltage on alternator low so replaced it with a new Motorcraft alternator.
Two weeks later it's happened again. Same symptoms. Start, short idle time, chokes out when put in gear and gas pedal pressed. I am going nuts and I know if I have it towed again, it's going to restart at the mechanics. I can't get it to happen when they have it. Truck runs fine and normal in between these episodes.

Any other things that may be of purpose. After EGR delete, I notice white smoke at start up after a day or two of not being used. Not while running, just when it starts after left sitting for a bit.

Thank you for allowing me to post. I know this is probably a repeat for most, but I appreciate any help. Because I'm new, I also read the Sticky for No Start and it has me thinking it might be time to have the mechanic check the FICM? I also looked for a similar post but it's hard to go through 200+ pages. Any thoughts from the experts?

Last edited by ascott24; 03-17-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just hooked up SCT tool to read DTC's. The only one that comes up is P0671. Is this related?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.