My horn honks when i turn on or off car whith lights on - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My horn honks when i turn on or off car whith lights on

hey all, I have 04 f350 and the previous owner apparently used the truck as a work truck up and Alaska, so if I have the head lights on and put the key in the ignition the horn honks continuously but if I start the truck first then turn the head lights on it wont honk(but the horn works). Now if I turn the truck off with the headlights on it will honk continuously until I turn the lights off. Also the cruise control doesn't work but if I try to set it it will honk. the truck use to have work/strobe lights hook up but was all removed.

How do I fix this??? I hate not being able to have the headlights on with out starting the truck

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 03:22 AM
aka MacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW6.0 View Post
hey all, I have 04 f350 and the previous owner apparently used the truck as a work truck up and Alaska, so if I have the head lights on and put the key in the ignition the horn honks continuously but if I start the truck first then turn the head lights on it wont honk(but the horn works). Now if I turn the truck off with the headlights on it will honk continuously until I turn the lights off. Also the cruise control doesn't work but if I try to set it it will honk. the truck use to have work/strobe lights hook up but was all removed.

How do I fix this??? I hate not being able to have the headlights on with out starting the truck

Thanks guys!
What a wiring nightmare. Do you know if the wiring for the strobe lights was into one of the upfitter switches?
Old 03-18-2014, 03:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It had after market switches along with a sepate fuse panel, I followed all wires and removed them cleanly, noting was hooked into the truck harness
Old 03-18-2014, 04:01 AM
aka MacGyver

Quote:
It had after market switches along with a sepate fuse panel, I followed all wires and removed them cleanly, noting was hooked into the truck harness
I am looking through the wiring schematics to find you an answer
Old 03-18-2014, 04:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you!
Old 03-18-2014, 05:29 AM
aka MacGyver

Quote:
Thank you!
Does your vehicle have auto lamps?
Old 03-18-2014, 06:45 AM
aka MacGyver

Looking through the schematics, the only place where I find either of the two positive wires in close proximity is in connector C270h on the back of the CJB (Fuse box) See Pic below. Looking at the ground wires, the horn and headlights are on the same wire. Your horn relay is activated when you depress the horn pad. It seems to me that the ground from your horn may either be broken, corroded or loose causing the contact in the circuit to work intermittently. This being said, this would cause the horn to use the ground from your headlights which in turn would activate the horn when the lights are turned on.

Last edited by rick1067; 03-18-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

the strange part is the way he can manipulate the problem by turning headlights on or off before the ignition
Old 03-18-2014, 06:52 AM
aka MacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
the strange part is the way he can manipulate the problem by turning headlights on or off before the ignition
You should be able to turn the headlights on without the key even in the truck. This would be why the bell dings when you take your key out and the headlights are left on.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I will look into the ground, but its almost like some wired the horn insted of the ding noise when you leave lights on, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.