06 Mystery motor in my 03 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 Mystery motor in my 03

I bought an F350 off ebay nearly two ago that had a blown oil cooler. I got the truck cheap as the owner just wanted away from what she said was endless problems. The truck had just over 100k on it and otherwise was in great shape. I replaced the oil cooler with the new round cooler and added a coolant filter as well as replaced the injectors. The truck has ran flawless till last weekend when I had a no start. It happened near my buddies shop so he I had him look at it for me. It turned out to be a bad ground and it was a quick fix. But during his diagnosis he found out the motor is a 06 engine. It was apparently replaced at some point. I bought the truck off the original owner but I have since lost her contact info. I have plans on adding a tuner as well as few other mods but now I'm curious as if this will cause me any problems. I think the long blocks are virtually the same but I'm not sure. Any input into this would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i can't see it causing any issue maybe see if you can get an Oasis report run
to see when the motor was put in
I'm surprised the 06 didn't come to light when u did the cooler and injectors

Last edited by ZMANN; 03-13-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:37 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point-X View Post
I bought an F350 off ebay nearly two ago that had a blown oil cooler. I got the truck cheap as the owner just wanted away from what she said was endless problems. The truck had just over 100k on it and otherwise was in great shape. I replaced the oil cooler with the new round cooler and added a coolant filter as well as replaced the injectors. The truck has ran flawless till last weekend when I had a no start. It happened near my buddies shop so he I had him look at it for me. It turned out to be a bad ground and it was a quick fix. But during his diagnosis he found out the motor is a 06 engine. It was apparently replaced at some point. I bought the truck off the original owner but I have since lost her contact info. I have plans on adding a tuner as well as few other mods but now I'm curious as if this will cause me any problems. I think the long blocks are virtually the same but I'm not sure. Any input into this would be greatly appreciated
You mean you replaced the EGR cooler.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i was headed that way next LOL since the 03 uses a round egr cooler and the 06 squarish so IDK what is the backstory
Old 03-13-2014, 04:48 PM
information regurgitator

If he has the 03 intake manifold, the 03 turbo pedestal, and the 03 up-pipe to feed the egr cooler... he could use the 03 egr cooler
Old 03-13-2014, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My bad.. yes the egr cooler and yes the intake and turbo are all 03. It would appear that the long block was the only thing changed. I haven't picked the truck up yet and only had a brief chat with my buddy on the phone. I'll get more info this weekend. He was suggesting adding an external oil cooler and I had it on my mind lol
Old 03-13-2014, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

From what I've read it would appear the 03 injectors I installed shouldn't be an issue
Old 04-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Only getting stranger.... Had an etest done this week which it failed at one testing facility I then drove to another facility that handles big rigs and it blew clean. I'm dealing with the gov agent now and trying to get my $135 back for the first test. What was interesting though was when they plugged into my truck it showed the chassis as an 03 and the engine as an 06 international. Is it just me or does that seem odd? 06 Mystery motor in my 03-20140405_151506-1-.jpg
Old 04-05-2014, 11:30 AM
information regurgitator

Would that not point to an 06 ECM???
Old 04-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have no idea.... I bought this truck of ebay from a woman in Georgia that I lost her info. It had a bad egr cooler and oil cooler. I got the truck cheap and had it shipped up here where I had a local shop replace both. I added a coolant filter and service the truck every 5k and its completely stock (no tuner) And for the past nearly 3 years the truck has run perfect. I only just noticed the engine replacement after we had a bad ground on the IPR. Then again on the e-test. I'm sure it showed up on the other e-tests but I never looked at them closely, I just took them to the ministry and got my new plate sticker. When we did a leak down test on the motor it was as tight as a drum. The truck has 130k on it and I have no idea how many miles are on the new engine. I was considering using an sct tuner to gain a little mpg but know I'm wondering if this will cause any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.