2006 6.0L lacks power intermittently while towing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 10:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 6.0L lacks power intermittently while towing

A few days ago I was pulling onto the road with a 2800 lb. trailer and my truck sputtered and blew black smoke, then some white smoke, lacked power, felt like it was gonna die out. I let off the gas eased into it and it slowly picked up. Did it twice more on the way (about 10 miles) and one time just moving it around the driveway, but it was really cold then and it may not have been up to temp. A quick check saw low coolant in the degas bottle. Put in about a gallon of 50/50 mix. Now it drives fine without the trailer. after doing a day of non-towing around town driving with no problems, I drove the trailer back the same route and it only did it once and much less than the first time. It seemed to do it when I was going around hard corners and stepping in it, and up hills while stepping on it sometimes. It was difficult to duplicate. Ran fine the rest of the time.

No additional coolant loss. I pulled the EGR valve and it was dry? I hope a quick cleaning will fix things right up. I've got a six hour non towing trip tomorrow, then a few days later drive the six hours back, then next week we are loading the trailer and moving across the country (2.5k miles). I need this truck to make the trip.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thank a bunch guys

Last edited by S.A.F.E; 03-04-2014 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Adding more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 04:37 AM
information regurgitator

Need more information from an electronic monitor.
Engine oil temp, engine coolant temp, IPR%, ICP desired.
Have you just changed the oil and used an oil filter (or cap, or filter and cap) from an auto parts store?
Changed fuel filters? Same
Fuel pressure?
Any recent work done to the engine?
What has been done to the engine since you owned it?
Mods?

Totally unrelated to your stutter: When you added coolant, what 50/50 did you use?
Old 03-05-2014, 05:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Errr... Just wrote a long reply and my page shut down and I lost my post.... Anyway, I've been waiting for the Banks IQ 2.0 to be available, it should be ready to ship sometime next week, they were redoing the programming or the wire harness or something. Is this a good monitor to get or would people recommend something else for monitoring. I do have a craftsman CanOBD2 scan tool (model 20899) in the mean time. It doesn't give me much though, ECT was good around 190* the last time it did it. I don't have IRP or ICP or EOT, or fuel pressure readings.

Around 6k miles ago I blew the STC fitting and cracked the rear engine cover. Had the whole thing apart, replaced a bunch of stuff, STC fitting, rear cover, oil cooler, dummy plugs, IRP, EGR valve, a bunch of O-rings and gaskets, both fuel filters, coolant flush and filter, oil and filter w/ factory cap, all motocraft parts and filters. The 50/50 mix I added this last time was not motocraft, but said it was for HD engines and had a tractor trailer rig on the bottle (I was in a pinch for some coolant and everywhere that sold motocraft was closed). Oh I also have replaced the degas cap with a standard factory recommended replacement one about 10k miles ago. I did not do the head gaskets or studs or the EGR cooler upgrade or delete, in hinds sight I wish I did, but while I had the W rail off I pulled each injector and inspected each one, they looked fine.

I'm about to go on this 6 hour drive, I'll post how it went when I get there.

Thanks for replying quickly guys.

Last edited by S.A.F.E; 03-05-2014 at 05:47 AM. Reason: More info / clarification
Old 03-05-2014, 05:53 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.F.E View Post
Errr... Just wrote a long reply and my page shut down and I lost my post.... Anyway, I've been waiting for the Banks IQ 2.0 to be available, it should be ready to ship sometime next week, they were redoing the programming or the wire harness or something. Is this a good monitor to get or would people recommend something else for monitoring. I do have a craftsman CanOBD2 scan tool (model 20899) in the mean time. It doesn't give me much though, ECT was good around 190* the last time it did it. I don't have IRP or ICP or EOT, or fuel pressure readings.

Around 6k miles ago I blew the STC fitting and cracked the rear engine cover. Had the whole thing apart, replaced a bunch of stuff, STC fitting, rear cover, oil cooler, dummy plugs, IRP, EGR valve, a bunch of O-rings and gaskets, both fuel filters, coolant flush and filter, oil and filter w/ factory cap, all motocraft parts and filters. The 50/50 mix I added this last time was not motocraft, but said it was for HD engines and had a tractor trailer rig on the bottle (I was in a pinch for some coolant and everywhere that sold motocraft was closed). Oh I also have replaced the degas cap with a standard factory recommended replacement one about 10k miles ago. I did not do the head gaskets or studs or the EGR cooler upgrade or delete, in hinds sight I wish I did, but while I had the W rail off I pulled each injector and inspected each one, they looked fine.

I'm about to go on this 6 hour drive, I'll post how it went when I get there.

Thanks for replying quickly guys.
That coolant is probably incompatible with the Ford Gold. It can start a whole big landslide of problems if left in the engine long term. It will get you around for a while but the sooner you get that stuff out, the better.

A few points of information: The Ford Gold coolant is available at NAPA, sold as Zerex G0-5.
If your coolant is 1/4 inch below the min line stamped on the bottle, it is actually full.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The last time the degas bottle completely empty when I filled it up. When I went out this morning the degas bottle was full so I sucked some out down to the correct level. I took the coolant coming back as a good sign, meaning it is not getting burned up. So I did the first half of the 6 hr. drive no problems. Stopped at a friends house and let it rest for about 2 hours. The rest of the trip went fine, no problems till the very end. We stopped at a store and I let it run to cool down. When I pulled out onto the main road again it started buckin and blowing some black smoke, lacked power till I let off the throttle and eased back into it. If I pressed the throttle hard it would lack power and run real rough. No codes. I hit record on my craftsman OBD2 scan tool but the recording failed for some reason, then I couldn't get it to do it again on the few mile drive left.

I wanted to get the Banks IQ 2.0 with the Economind tune which won't be available before my big drive. Is it worth waiting for the Banks IQ or for the money should I get something else? I will do a coolant flush and clean my EGR valve before my big drive (2,500 mile) next week.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:03 PM
information regurgitator

I would say that the most popular electronic gauge has to be the Edge CTS.
The Following User Says Thank You to NYC F-350 For This Useful Post:
S.A.F.E (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks NYC F-350, I just ordered the Evolution CTS, I got the turbo timer, and the EGT probe, I got the back up camera too. They should be delivered tomorrow. Where is the best place and way to install the EGT probe? And will there be any instructions with it?
Old 03-06-2014, 03:25 PM
information regurgitator

Easiest is the drivers side exhaust manifold.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yesterday I got a P0404 (EGR circuit range/performance). I looked on the internet and it sounds like the EGR valve could be sticking open. It seems logical that if the EGR valve is sticking open when it shouldn't and exhaust is filling my combustion chambers I would expect to get the symptoms I'm getting, lacks power, runs rough, spits black exhaust, right? So yesterday evening I pulled my EGR valve and looked at it closely. It was very coked up with carbon and I could feel it sticking. I'm surprised because this is a brand new valve with only about 5k miles on it. Anyway I cleaned it off real good and it feels smooth now. I haven't driven it yet but I have a six hour drive today which I am about to leave for. Once I get home I'll have my new Edge CTS and EGT probe waiting for me. I'll let you know how the drive goes. Hopefully cleaning the valve should clear everything up for me.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I pulled the EGR valve and cleaned it up, looks like I might need an o-ring and gasket kit for the valve. Anyway, Truck lagged a little bit pulling onto the main road yesterday, then nothing for the next 650 miles. I got home and immediatly installed my new Evolution CTS and the EGT probe. I pulled the valve again to swap out the o-rings with some better condition ones from my old valve (ford will not be open till Monday morning and I will get a new set), and it was really gunked up and sticking again. On my on my long drive my OBD2 reader was getting an EGR error (%) PID of around 20 at idle, 0 most of the time when it seemed to be running good and some times it would jump all around even up to 99, which is what the DTC freeze frame data was. Also, EGR command(%) PID was reading between 0 and 30 when it was running well. What are those numbers supposed to be? And now that I have my CTS w/EGT what PIDs should I be monitoring and what values should I be seeing and when should I be getting alarmed?

Thank you so much, I really appreciate all of the help from the forums.

Last edited by S.A.F.E; 03-09-2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: More info / clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0, lacks power, towing, white smoke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.