Rough cold startups after oil change? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Teachagmech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 12:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough cold startups after oil change?

Last Wednesday I changed my oil in my 05. Used Delo 400 15w-40 and a motorcraft filter. I changed the filter and put in 15 quarts. Dipstick level seems a bit high, but it is so bent in some places I don't know if I trust it, and everyone says 15 quarts so that is what I did. Truck runs perfect when warm. However this weekend I went away skiing and when I came back yesterday to fire it up (It was about 25 degrees out) it idled kind of rough for about 5 minutes, and I couldn't hear the turbo whistle at all. Was puffing a decent amount of blue smoke as well. Even once it was fully warmed up it still wasn't making as much boost as is normally does driving down the road. So shut the truck off at the diesel station, filled up, went in to buy some stuff, came back out and fired it up, and when I went back to the exhaust pipe to check on it, it sounded completely normal (healthy 6.0L constant woosh of air. I have a 4" straight pipe) which was not the case earlier. Got back on the road and the truck was making good boost again and running perfect. According to the computer I got 20.2mpg on the way home too. So what gives? Is the 15w too thick for winter cold starts? Why would the truck run better after I shut it off and then turned it back on? Anyone have any thoughts? I do not know what weight oil was in there before as this is my first oil change with the truck. Seemed to run much better cold with the dirty oil that was in there previously though....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sounds to me like stiction. i run rotella t6 5w-40 even though i live in a very temperate climate. the thicker oil will make them run rough when cold as the spool valves in the injectors are not as quick to move.

if you aren't worried about it, just keep it in there and next oil change go thinner. these things are pretty finicky when it comes to oil and maintenance.
npccpartsman likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.