Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

SCT Programmer wont work

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  04stroke 
#1 ·
Ok the day i got the programmer...for about 3 hours straight i tried to program my truck and it never worked...when you would get to the part where you turn the key on but dont start the truck it doesnt go past that to download...so i gave up
the next day i gave it a try first thing in the morning..it worked..i put it on performance..drove around then put it on street...n its been there ever since...
Now just the other day i tried to put it on performance and its not goin past the turn the key forward part to program...im told my truck is the problem its not letting the programmer recognize key on...

Was wonderin if anyones had this problem? or how to fix it? where to start? im lost? if it worked once why not anymore...why did it work at all if im gonna have problems...its killin me...i cant put my truck back to stock either

Appreciate any help

#4 ·
subscribed

#18 ·
That may not be a bad idea. If you hook up to their website and put in a 'fresh' upload, it might take care of it. Another thing is you may have just bought it, but how long was it on the shelf before that? MAYBE a fresher code is waiting for you....

Just a suggestion - It's yours to do with how you see fit!

#7 ·
call sct and talk to them, maybe that will help. i lost my stock program and they linked to my computer online and did stuff while i was on the phone with them. its really cool and helpfull.

#8 ·
Ok..ive talked to them 3 times now..n they seem kinda stumped but tell me i need to check all my fuses and that its mostlikely not the tuner its my truck..but how is the tuner not recognizing key on to download? but before you download it asks you to turn the key on n off to recognize the vehicle..n that works...? im so confused on what to do...ive checked my fuses idk how many times...
i just want to throw this thing in the garbage n put my truck to stock

#10 ·
Yeah ive checked my fuses...is there any specific ones i should double check? besides all lol

And i assume i can read DTC's...when i do that it says turn key on..then i do it and it says no codes found

#12 ·
well I'm thinking that since you can read DTCs, that you might have an SCT problem, maybe the chip is loose inside or something. not sure, but that'd be my guess. Of course to find that out, you crack it which voids the warranty- That is also assuming the one you have has the little memory chip inside.

I'd get back on the horn with SCT and say "i can read the dtcs but not upload a program" i dont see how it could do that and not write

#13 ·
Thats what i told the first guy i talked to...and he said he can have me send the tuner in..and it will take 2 weeks before i get it back.....
Also when i told him how it reads dtc's but wont upload he said that its mostlikely not the tuner and that its probably a vehicle issue...but thanks, im gonna call them and tell them again n see what they say..n ill check my fuses again

#14 ·
Do you have the new "enhanced" X3 box? The new ones part number on the back of the box start with "XP". It also has the icons on the screen when it boots up instead of a worded list of options.

If so, this is a known problem and I have a car in my shop right now that is going through the same issue. I have been working with them on it and will post back up here if I come into any headway on my end. If you do have the "xp" version, its not your truck.

#15 ·
i have the sf3 #3015..and the number on the back starts X3 not XP...?and the only icon i have when it boots up is big letters SCT..but if your talkin about options as far as program vehicle n what ever mine is words not icons..

But please do post anything you find out..cause i really need to be able to change my truck from street cause i need to be able to pull my trailer without egts to high

#16 ·
I'm having the same problem with my Xcal2. I plug it in, it powers up, I go to "tune vehicle", and it tells me to "turn key on but don't start vehicle", and nothing happens. Eventually the tuner says "can't tuner vehicle". I contacted SCT and they told me the same thing.....check fuses and battery voltage. Everything checks good on my truck. They also said it could be the OBD2 port but I'm thinking if that were the case the tuner probably wouldn't power up. I'm stressin' this because I need to take my truck to the dealer for warranty work. Unlike you 04stroke, I can't even read DTCs or anything.

Rob

#19 ·
Yeah i need to pull my trailer, and i need to take my truck in for work before january when my warranty expires.....it really sucks...and as far as the obd2 port thing i think it would still power up cause they said its just not connecting to the pcm to download..so it still gets the power to the tuner tho.:mad:

i know this sounds stupid but it has happened to me. is it turned on and plugged in properly? I have had a problem like this and it was just a bit of something in the connector not allowing the signal to transferr
ive tried wiggling it while plugged in and no matter how where or what i do it wont download

That may not be a bad idea. If you hook up to their website and put in a 'fresh' upload, it might take care of it. Another thing is you may have just bought it, but how long was it on the shelf before that? MAYBE a fresher code is waiting for you....

Just a suggestion - It's yours to do with how you see fit!
Sounds like a good idea....but if you buy a computer with windows 1.1..and then you go buy the software and download the windows 1.1 wouldnt it still be the same no matter how old? not to be harsh..just wanted to understand

#17 ·
i know this sounds stupid but it has happened to me. is it turned on and plugged in properly? I have had a problem like this and it was just a bit of something in the connector not allowing the signal to transferr

#20 ·
Doesnt mean that reloading the software wont help resolve the problem. There could possibly be a corruption somewhere. It can't hurt to try it unless you would just rather not resolve the problem.

#21 ·
True..im willin to try almost anything to make the stupid thing work..cause i really need it to change..

So do i just plug the tuner into the computer and download the software or w.e...or do i need to like download it to my computer then to the tuner? or will there be a step by step thing on the website?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.