Just bought first diesel and problems already. Need some 6.0 help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just bought first diesel and problems already. Need some 6.0 help

Just last week i bought an 03 F250 6.0 with 225000 miles. The truck ran perfect for about a week. I was just cruising about 60mph down the highway and started to go up a hill and i noticed the truck didnt want to take fuel. I looked at fuel gauge and had about 1/8 tank. The truck slowed down to about 30 mph and that was with fuel to floor. Seemed lke it wouldnt go take anymore fuel than about 1/4 throttle. The truck had no power at all, 30-35 mph was as fast as i could go. The low fuel light came on, so i put fuel in it and it didnt change how it ran. The truck would rev up to about 3000 rpm in park and in neutral but when u powerbraked it the rpms would not got past about 1500rpm and i could hear the turbo spool up and it would smoke a lil black smoke but wouldnt even spin tire over once. So i strated reading some forums. I pulled egr and it looked new, checked intercooler piping and couldnt find a crack or leak, changed fuel filters, wasnt overheating, wasnt smoking, and nothing changed the way it ran. THe truck would start and idle fine and the check engine light was not on. It was in the low 20s where i live so one guy said it may have gelled fuel or water in fuel. I went to local auto store and bought some diesel 911. I pulled filter under the hood and poured some in there and some in fuel tank. The truck started up but wouldnt rev past 1500 rpm in park now. It ran for about a min and died. Now it will not stay running. i can turn key over a few times and let fuel pump run and it will run for a few seconds but will not take any fuel and will only get up to about 500 rpm. I thought i had air in the fuel system. i read where the 6.0 bleeds itself. i did however loosen the fuel filter lid while pump was running and some air came out. I have worked on many gas engines but this is my first diesel. So guys, what do i need to check now? All help is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What os your fuel pressure, sounds like pump. Should be 50 to 55 psi stock with no mods

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Havent checked fuel pressure yet. Is there a certain place on these i can put gauge and check it?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Premium Member

On the side of the engine mounted fuel bowl there is a plug you can remove, and hook a gauge to. It should be on the drivers side of the bowl towards the bottom. A good rule for the 6.0's is to never run below 3/8 of a tank. They had crappy baffling in the fuel tanks and when the fuels low, if you hit a corner too hard it'll slosh and suck air. Trust me. It cost me 2 injectors just from hitting a corner hard, and sucking air just once. The fuel system will bleed itself if you do the bleed cycle. You turn the key on but don't crank it, and you'll hear the fuel pump come on. Let it run until it stops, and do this a few times and the air should be gone. If you have changed both fuel filters, properly bled the air, and you see good fuel pressure when you test it, you probably have an injector that's failing
Old 03-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had to order a fitting to be able to check fuel pressure. Part should be here saturday. I did check for codes and it didnt have any codes stored. I also performed the "bubble test" and didnt see any bubbles at all. I can hear the fuel pump run for about 20 seconds after key is on and the filter bowl under hood will fill up with fuel quickly. I also sprayed a lil bit of starting fluid in and it fired up for just a few seconds. Anything else i can check while waiting on fuel pressure adapter to come in?
Old 03-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 03 f350 that was acting a lot like yours no codes either turned out to be ficm fuel injector control module you need to have a mechanic hook it to the same type of system that ford uses to scan the truck, cost me about 700.00 bucks and ran great for a month and now check engine light is on ,had it scanned and now its the ICP sensor so another 180.00 bucks for the part, still haven't changed it yet, doesn't look like fun though, good luck
Old 03-05-2014, 11:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Best investment for your 6.0 is an Edge CTS. Or the very least a Scanguage II. Most important thing to monitor is voltage Delta's and EOT vs ECT.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-06-2014, 01:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Checked ficm and the volts are 48 with key on and 48 while cranking. Checked fuel pressure and its 55psi with key on and 55psi while cranking and still no start.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd tell ya to unplug your icp sensor to see if it starts but at that point pulling the turbo better off replacing it especially since you have no idea how old it is, and mine as we'll spend the money on an Ipr then at least give you some peace of mind for a year or so lol
Old 03-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you know FICM vots then you should be able to tell IPR% and ICP. Get those values while youre cranking the engine over trying to start it.
Also make sure you're gettig the injector 'buzz' under the hood when you go KOEO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.