Heating and cab smell - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 07:53 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Heating and cab smell

Ok i replaced my turbo and just did a full flush with restore and vc-9 and now have ECL 1 coolant and new thermostat. Also just installed sinister coolant filter before doing flush and then changed filter after all flushes. Now i will get no heat at all until the thermostat opens but then no heat once it will close. I notice that i will get to about 212* before it even opens but I've seen it range from 170-216* so maybe need a different thermostat instead(will get a new OEM) but after doing the flush i did notice my EOT is no where near as high or as far off of ECT as it use to be so that is a good sign for my oil cooler for now. Also once i start getting a little bit of heat it also comes with horrible engine exhaust smell in the cab, enough to make you almost gag and if it idles long enough when you open the door it is a little hazy inside the Cab but will be blowing more hot air. Any ideas on why im not getting any heat until my thermostat opens and ECT drop back down and also why im getting horrible exhaust smell when i do start to get hot air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 10:09 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Pressure test your cooling system. Sounds like blown head gaskets

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-26-2014, 05:58 AM
Premium Member

The wildly varying temps are either from lots of air in the coolant system or from a HG issue.

The smell in the cab may be exhaust from your turbo reinstallation not having the up-pipes or down-pipe mated correctly. Why it happens when you get heat is a separate issue, unless you have a leak in your heater core and exhaust gas is coming through your coolant system.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:58 PM
Serving Our Country!

Well I will have to pressure test it when I get a tester. Now today driving to work back and fourth about top 45mph. Was getting heat and temp only between 186-196. Went to drive down highway to go out with wife and it over heated...230-240* and also I get a whining noise while driving. Soo possible crap thermostat, water pump, cracked/leaking heads is my guess.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Serving Our Country!

Well this is what i found so far. Driving around the local area it gets to about 206 even with now thermostat but goes back down. If i drive on the highway for about 5min+ it will start over heat and get up into the 236-240*range. The whining noise only happens or is noticeable when it gets to about 218*+. Once it gets in the overheat range, and i drive slowly around local area it still wont drop under 234-236 unless i turn it off and let it sit for a few min. I am starting to think more of a water pump going bad or possibly did not mix the coolant/water good enough and cant dissipate the heat good enough when under heavier loads...If worse it has to be the head gaskets. This post seems to be the same exact problem that i am having, http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...77/index2.html also does anyone have any how to for replacing the 6.0 water pump. Never really done one myself and hope its not too difficult of a job.

Last edited by mustangcobrajc; 02-27-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Water pump is shot. Pressure test the system as well

Old 02-27-2014, 09:51 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Because the bad pump doesn't explain the smell. How do your up pipes look

Old 02-28-2014, 04:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

up pipes looked pretty good while i had to turbo off, did not see really any black on the pipe or firewall from a leak. I know the Down pipe might be part of the problem because when i tried to line it back up with the turbo it was giving me a fit and kept wanting to pull apart. My new 5" exhaust should be here by early next week so ill see if that takes care of it. For the water pump, would a Napa one be ok, i read theres are made out of steel now and not plastic like the OEM as long as my water pump housing is fine. Not quite sure what the difference is http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...079_0258154772 vs http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...504_0258176495
Old 02-28-2014, 06:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Not quite sure what the difference is NAPA AUTO PARTS - Home vs NAPA AUTO PARTS - Home
Cast iron vs aluminum casing.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:52 AM
Serving Our Country!

Well neither of those pumps were for a 6.0 once i looked for them.. LOL i ended up getting this one tho NAPA AUTO PARTS now i just have to take it some where i guess since i cant get my hands on a fan clutch tool since local auto zone does not have one. Hopefully wont break the bank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.