No start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No start

Truck is a 2005 F550 with a 6.0L.About 3 weeks ago my EGR cooler went bad,I kind of knew something was up before it actually happened.Anyway removed the old cooler,as well as the oil cooler and installed the Bulletproof setup.I decided to go this route as it has been the third time this has been done amongst the cracked heads turbo's and so on.Fired the truck up on the Saturday,buttoned everything up, all ran great,did a 100 mile trip with no problems.This is a work truck,I do emergency truck repairI went out on a call a few days later got in the truck was pulling back onto the freeway truck died.Towed it in.I have replaced the low pressure pump as I was not building pressure,rotor had some scoring nothing major.Did the air test and I found the air leaking out the front of the hpop just behind the gear.In reading posts from earlier someone said this is normal,which I find hard to believe.I need some clarification as 100psi of air is blowing through there causes a leak what does 500 psi do.When I did the Bulletproof upgrade I replaced the screen and o rings on the IPR.When I took the IPR out a little while ago the screen had some crud on it and a hole in the screen,so not sure if something went through the pump.I have no problem changing out the pump I just want to make sure that this is the problem,as I don't hear air leaking anywhere else.
I have to get back on the road soon. Murphy's law my phone has been ringing off the hook for 3 weeks solid,sucks to turn down all that work.Been a real expensive February.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanW View Post
Truck is a 2005 F550 with a 6.0L.About 3 weeks ago my EGR cooler went bad,I kind of knew something was up before it actually happened.Anyway removed the old cooler,as well as the oil cooler and installed the Bulletproof setup.I decided to go this route as it has been the third time this has been done amongst the cracked heads turbo's and so on.Fired the truck up on the Saturday,buttoned everything up, all ran great,did a 100 mile trip with no problems.This is a work truck,I do emergency truck repairI went out on a call a few days later got in the truck was pulling back onto the freeway truck died.Towed it in.I have replaced the low pressure pump as I was not building pressure,rotor had some scoring nothing major.Did the air test and I found the air leaking out the front of the hpop just behind the gear.In reading posts from earlier someone said this is normal,which I find hard to believe.I need some clarification as 100psi of air is blowing through there causes a leak what does 500 psi do.When I did the Bulletproof upgrade I replaced the screen and o rings on the IPR.When I took the IPR out a little while ago the screen had some crud on it and a hole in the screen,so not sure if something went through the pump.I have no problem changing out the pump I just want to make sure that this is the problem,as I don't hear air leaking anywhere else.
I have to get back on the road soon. Murphy's law my phone has been ringing off the hook for 3 weeks solid,sucks to turn down all that work.Been a real expensive February.
I am right with ya on this problem. I am going through the same issue right no only mine is a warm no start condition. I am going to air test mine this weekend. What all did you have to do then than plumb the air into valve cover. I read that you have to command the ICP??
Old 02-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You remove the ICP sensor from the valve cover install the correct fitting connect air and energize the IPR either with a scan tool or by plugging in an IPR electrical plug and connecting to a 12v supply but only for a minute at a time.And listen for air leaks.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I pulled the hpop yesterday,picked up a replacement as well as an IPR.Reassembled the whole deal and it took about 30 seconds of cranking for the low oil to come up and about another 5 seconds later the high pressure came up and the engine fired right up.I must say it sounds a little smoother,not sure if I am imagining it.I will take it out for a drive in the morning hopefully I can get back to work.Ford are sure proud of their parts.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

When you tested it with the aire did you have the cover off the hpop when you found the leak?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I first checked the system assembled,once you hear a leak that is only half the problem,you still have to determine where it is coming from.Since I knew I was going to have to open the engine the most logical place to start was the hpop.I also realized there was a problem once I removed the IPR and found the screen damaged figuring something went through the pump.Once I got it all back together I retested the system for leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.