Smoking after coolant flush - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smoking after coolant flush

I have an '05 F250 that I bought a year ago from a Ford dealership. The truck has all of the service records with that dealer. It had 91000 miles (mostly highway) when I bought it and it now has 99850. Last Christmas, I put an Edge Juice w/Attitude on the truck but everything else is stock and I don't hot rod it.
Last week I noticed that the coolant was low. Since I had no idea what coolant was in the truck, I decided to flush the system and add new.
The next afternoon, I was leaving work and noticed that I was getting white smoke from the exhaust. When I was idling to pull out onto the road, white smoke was coming out the exhaust and it billowed when I pulled out. This is unusual because my truck rarely smokes in any color. I don't have much money so I kinda played the dumb blond girl thing with the guy at the local repair shop so he would give me advice without making me pay for a service. I don't know anything about diesel motors, but in a gas motor, my thought would be a head gasket. The truck has not been hot while I have owned it so the mechanic said he doubted it was a head gasket and leaned more towards my chip. I put the chip back to stock but nothing changed. The truck smokes at an idle, under power and it comes and goes periodically for no apparent reason.
The thing that confuses me is why I owned the truck for a year without any problems and now when I change the coolant, it smokes?
A friend suggested that someone could have put an additive in the coolant (don't remember what he said but it was like "iron seal" or something) that they use in big trucks for leaking head gaskets...?
Sorry about the long winded post but I am hoping someone can help me diagnose these symptoms without costing me a fortune. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2008, 08:40 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

egr cooler is busted , probably need oil cooler to, if its still under a hundred thousand get it to a dealer quick
Old 11-04-2008, 08:43 AM

I know diddltsquat about diesels, but like you said, in a gas motor thats a head gasket. Did you check the oil? Any issues there? I no I'm no help Just trying a bit.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
egr cooler is busted , probably need oil cooler to, if its still under a hundred thousand get it to a dealer quick
Is this covered under the warranty? The past week, I have been looking at the milage creeping up wondering what the crap the problem is and if it is warranty work or just gonna cost me a fortune that I don't have...
I pulled the dipstick and the oil looks normal but I don't know that you could see water on the dipstick anyway.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's covered under warranty. I had mine do the same thing about 3 months ago. Ford replaced the egr and egr cooler under warranty. I got large amounts of white smoke pouring out of the exhaust coupled with significant loss of power. It runs great now with the replaced parts.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sweet! Thank you so much for your help. I was starting to panic trying to figure out how I was going to pay for this repair since something is obviously wrong. One more quick question though, can shops other than Ford dealers do the warranty work? And, should I take the chip off before I take it in since I have heard that putting a chip on them voids the warranty? I am not real impressed with the dealer I bought the truck from after I took the truck back 2 weeks after I bought it because the 4 wheel drive wouldn't lock in. They refused to even look at it unless I paid the $90 service charge. I kinda told them to shove it...
Old 11-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterg22 View Post
Sweet! Thank you so much for your help. I was starting to panic trying to figure out how I was going to pay for this repair since something is obviously wrong. One more quick question though, can shops other than Ford dealers do the warranty work? And, should I take the chip off before I take it in since I have heard that putting a chip on them voids the warranty? I am not real impressed with the dealer I bought the truck from after I took the truck back 2 weeks after I bought it because the 4 wheel drive wouldn't lock in. They refused to even look at it unless I paid the $90 service charge.
It would be VERY advisable to put the truck back to stock trim, since I'm sure scanning it for DTCs will more than likely be part of the process of the repair. As already mentioned, this WILL be covered under your diesel engine component warranty with a $100 deductible.
Quote:
I kinda told them to shove it...
What is your occupation? Do you get paid to do your job? I get the "s*h*i*t" calls all the time from outside garages asking for "free information". While I don't mind giving anybody a helping hand, I take VERY SERIOUS offense to doing so, only to be referred to as "the guy that works at the stealership" behind my back, by the very people asking me to "help" them out. I know I don't work for free, nor do I believe anyone should me made to feel that they have to.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

M-Chan68: get off your soap box! I don't expect anyone to do their job for free but when I buy a truck for $32,000 and am told that it was gone through and meets all of the Ford certification requirements and find out less than 2 weeks later that the 4 wheel drive doesn't work, I expect the dealer to stand behind it. I don't know what your problem is but you really need to find a hobby to ease some of your aggression. I appreciate the help from most of the users of this forum in saving me some money diagnosing the problems with my truck. You however, are out of line with your comments and obviously just looking for a place to vent.

BTW: the other Ford dealership that I took my truck to last week, fixed the 4 wheel drive on it- FOR FREE- because it was a 2 minute job and even they said it should have been fixed by the dealer that I bought the truck from.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
M-Chan68: get off your soap box! I don't expect anyone to do their job for free but when I buy a truck for $32,000 and am told that it was gone through and meets all of the Ford certification requirements and find out less than 2 weeks later that the 4 wheel drive doesn't work, I expect the dealer to stand behind it.
And there's no reason why they shouldn't/didn't. Perhaps this is something that should've been explained when you brought the vehicle in (that you had just purchased the vehicle two weeks prior)?

Quote:
I don't know what your problem is but you really need to find a hobby to ease some of your aggression. I appreciate the help from most of the users of this forum in saving me some money diagnosing the problems with my truck. You however, are out of line with your comments and obviously just looking for a place to vent.
I don't have that much time for hobbies, other than weekends. During the week, the majority of my time is spent carrying out my duties at work to the best of my abilities to ensure that any vehicle that leaves my hands results in nothing, other than a customer completely satisfied with the work done. In so doing, I ache over resources (OASIS and other online information accessible to me) in order to ensure that the repair is carried out correctly, and that no further issues could arise from the repair (near or distant future). This is with repairs that no one else in my shop wants to (or is able to) fix.

Quote:
BTW: the other Ford dealership that I took my truck to last week, fixed the 4 wheel drive on it- FOR FREE- because it was a 2 minute job and even they said it should have been fixed by the dealer that I bought the truck from.
I'm assuming it was a vacuum hose from the front hub that became dislodged. If the original selling dealer was unwilling to at least send a tech out to have a quick look at it, then shame on them.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:31 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
M-Chan68: get off your soap box! I don't expect anyone to do their job for free but when I buy a truck for $32,000 and am told that it was gone through and meets all of the Ford certification requirements and find out less than 2 weeks later that the 4 wheel drive doesn't work, I expect the dealer to stand behind it. I don't know what your problem is but you really need to find a hobby to ease some of your aggression. I appreciate the help from most of the users of this forum in saving me some money diagnosing the problems with my truck. You however, are out of line with your comments and obviously just looking for a place to vent.

I think YOU should relax. It isn't M-chan's fault that you are having problems with your dealership. These trucks (like ALL mechanical devices) will develop problems; Blasting folks that are trying to help (especially our dealership master tech's) will only make you look foolish and get you a time out!

My advice would be to find another dealership, especially if you still have an older strategy, the old STC fitting, or about a half dozen other things that may require fixing... UNLESS, of course, you know how to fix those yourself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.