03 no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 03:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 no start

I have a 03 f350 it was running than it died took it to my shop got it running but there was no power so I got into it and found on the ipr wires the two that run into the ipr were bare and touching each other fixed it and still no start the icp pressure was at 550 before all this and still never stared so went after the ipr the screen was in good shape just the wires were bare and touching each other.. thing that throws me off is the ipr% is at 15 key on engien off and cranking jumps 85.. I know its not supposed to be that im just lost I unplugged icp and still no start help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 05:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

So the numbers you are seeing is what the pcm is telling the ipr. So 15% koeo is correct 85% is the ipr fully closed to build starting icp. My guess is your ipr needs to be replaced, unplugging the icp tells the engine that their is 550 psi of pressure and the engine will start... HOWEVER, if the ipr is staying 15% open because it is broken then the engine will not ACTUALLY build 550 or equivelant icp pressure. Make sense? What is icp koeo and icp at starting while plugged in? Icp should not stay directly at 550 icp, it should fluctuate and show movement in pressure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-21-2014, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It started out at 550 and now its only like 35 psi when I found those wires on the ipr was bare and touching I thought that would be my problem but its still showing 15% key on amd jumps to 85% in a couple cranks so could those bare wires fry the ipr vavle and the psi is still 35

Last edited by Fountainkid101; 02-21-2014 at 06:08 AM. Reason: messed up
Old 02-21-2014, 06:18 AM

Cool! Alright either the ipr is still messed up or u have a hpo leak, in which case you would need to perform a "hpo shop air leak test" - do a search here you will find procedures and results. As long as your icp and ipr are in working condition, it sounds like the main seal blew out in the hpop.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok will do thanks for the info... when u do the shop air test I have to have the key on. But u think those wires fried the ipr the screen was clean and not broke
Old 02-21-2014, 06:38 AM

Only if you command ipr closed with a software. Otherwise, you want the car off and your going to pressurize the system with air through the icp and apply 12 volts directly to the ipr to close the loop so the hpop system is sealed and pressurized then follow the gurgling or air sound.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK thanks for all the information..
Old 02-21-2014, 07:32 AM

If you are already digging deep on an 03 to pull the IPR and ICP you might as well pull the pump.There is a bearing on the side that is proned to coming out and causing the IPR to reach 85 % and cause a no start situation.Doesnt hurt since you are already in there.If you do find the bearing gone,dont worry you do not need to spend 500+$ on a new pump.Mine came out and I threaded the hole and put a 1/4" fitting in there and tack welded it to the pump so I never have this issue again.The pump itself almost never goes bad,its always that stupid bearing they put in there.Food for thought.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i did the air test and didnt hear nothing have the passenger vavle cover off and still didnt hear anything... originally u could hear air but it sounded like in the oil pan then it seemed like the ipr vavle closed with key off and no air anywere dead quit.. and it didnt matter if the key was on or off still nothing im stuck they say put 12v to the ipr but with the key on i put a meter on the plug and there was 12v but u couldnt hear no air.. and im getting 0 psi on icp with scanner or mechanical guage on it nothing.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:08 AM

Where did you put the compressed air into the system? At the icp? 12 volts need to be applied directly to the ipr and should only be applied 30 seconds at a time or you risk damaging the valve. When the oil is cleared from the system the ipr valve should make a slight click when 12v is applied. The engine should be off for all of this. When the ipr is not charged you will hear air and gurgling. When the ipr is charged you SHOULD hear nothing at all (if the system is sealed), if there is a leak u will hear gurgling but may take a few times to clear the oil out before really hearing the air.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.