Need some help quick on a truck I'm looking at buying - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 06:39 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some help quick on a truck I'm looking at buying

I am looking at a 2003 F-250 CCSB lariat with the Fx4 package. The truck has the dreaded 6.0 but the current owner had sinister APR head studs installed with black onyx head gaskets and a sinister erg delete kit installed. They also said they installed a new high pressure oil pump and a new oil cooler. The truck has 261,000 miles on it and the work was performed at 259,000 miles. I can see the head studs but don't really know how to tell if the erg has been deleted.

I drove the truck and it started right up and idled fine and when I got into the pedal while it was idling it had a very small amount of what looked like white smoke. My biggest concern was when I drove the truck, I got it on the open road and layed the pedal to the floor, when I did this the truck hesitated for a few seconds and then took off but still didn't seem to have the power of other 6.0 I've driven. when it did it take it had some black smoke the first several times and then it had a steady flow of white smoke when I was in the pedal. This concerns me and I don't know if it's something mag or or not. The truck drove fine just cruising the problem was just when I put the pedal to the floor.

I know the repairs done are expensive and I can get the truck for $10,000 I just don't want it if it has major problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanta7.3 View Post
I am looking at a 2003 F-250 CCSB lariat with the Fx4 package. The truck has the dreaded 6.0 but the current owner had sinister APR head studs installed with black onyx head gaskets and a sinister erg delete kit installed. They also said they installed a new high pressure oil pump and a new oil cooler. The truck has 261,000 miles on it and the work was performed at 259,000 miles. I can see the head studs but don't really know how to tell if the erg has been deleted.

I drove the truck and it started right up and idled fine and when I got into the pedal while it was idling it had a very small amount of what looked like white smoke. My biggest concern was when I drove the truck, I got it on the open road and layed the pedal to the floor, when I did this the truck hesitated for a few seconds and then took off but still didn't seem to have the power of other 6.0 I've driven. when it did it take it had some black smoke the first several times and then it had a steady flow of white smoke when I was in the pedal. This concerns me and I don't know if it's something mag or or not. The truck drove fine just cruising the problem was just when I put the pedal to the floor.

I know the repairs done are expensive and I can get the truck for $10,000 I just don't want it if it has major problems.

I would pass on it. Black onyx head gaskets are junk and whoever gets it will be doing hg again. Shouldnt be blowing any white smoke. 10k on it plan on spending another 5k.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanta7.3 View Post

I would pass on it. Black onyx head gaskets are junk. Shouldnt be blowing any white smoke. Probably already blew the head gaskets.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the info
Old 02-19-2014, 07:47 PM

No problem. Hate to see someone buy something and get screwed.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yea I would stay away as well.Not only are the gaskets junk,but when you have an issue down the road with ICP,its a pain in the *** cause its located in the back by the hpop vs on the passenger valve cover.Guy is probably selling it cause he just put those gaskets in 8000 or less miles ago and they are probably blown already and doesnt want to do the gaskets all over again.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ditto. it`s a problem.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

find a 7.3,
Old 02-20-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean andreano View Post
find a 7.3,
7.3, thats funny. I only buy them to resell. I hate driving them dogs.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Premium Member

I would pass too hard the same about black onyx but on the other hand I heard black diamond s are good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.