06 No start need some advise please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 06:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 No start need some advise please

Ok, so I was towing a heavy toy hauler, truck fluttered like 3 times and then started losing power up the hill. I thought at first I lost a turbo boot but I rolled window down ( as I had lost on this summer already) to listen and looked at the gauge and it was reading a solid 30.. Normal max it would run around 26. stock gauge.
I made it to the next turn off and slowed down to turn and it died once it idled down. ( before the turn ) Then no start. blocking highway. dark. and no cell service. in the middle of nowhere.

SO it didn't throw any codes,
got it on a reader.
it has 280 to 320 at ICP when cranking ( had another 06 parked next to it and swapped ICP also. ICP is good
we changed the IPR to new one, old one had bad o ring and screen was not on end when pulled out. Magnet need to remove from engine...
Ipr is still showing 15 then jump to 85 when cranking.
put air pressure to ICP hole and getting sound out the the oil fill tube passenger side, drivers side does not seem to have any sound.
Ficm is cranking 48v so its fine.

So how do you tell what is wrong with it beyond what we have done. is there a way to tell if it is the HPOP or stc fitting or something else,

during one of the test cranks the ICP reached 500psi for a second but still didn't even act like it would fire.

any help would be appreciated, Thanks Guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 07:19 PM

Have you tried to unplug the icp and see if it cranks?
Old 02-18-2014, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep, unplugged ICP, Tried to start it, no difference. last thing we did was swap ICP from a running truck. no change. Still no start. I read all the no start page on Here and I guess my question is how do you tell which part of the oil system needs replaced.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:39 PM

When you pulled the ipr and the screen was gone, are you sure you got all metal, plastic out? Sounds as if the ipr was the problem but nos no start still tells me maybe something to do with the ipr still or hpop. Should be able to hear air leaking with the pressure test.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:44 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBell View Post
Ok, so I was towing a heavy toy hauler, truck fluttered like 3 times and then started losing power up the hill. I thought at first I lost a turbo boot but I rolled window down ( as I had lost on this summer already) to listen and looked at the gauge and it was reading a solid 30.. Normal max it would run around 26. stock gauge.
I made it to the next turn off and slowed down to turn and it died once it idled down. ( before the turn ) Then no start. blocking highway. dark. and no cell service. in the middle of nowhere.

SO it didn't throw any codes,
got it on a reader.
it has 280 to 320 at ICP when cranking ( had another 06 parked next to it and swapped ICP also. ICP is good
we changed the IPR to new one, old one had bad o ring and screen was not on end when pulled out. Magnet need to remove from engine...
Ipr is still showing 15 then jump to 85 when cranking.
put air pressure to ICP hole and getting sound out the the oil fill tube passenger side, drivers side does not seem to have any sound.
Ficm is cranking 48v so its fine.

So how do you tell what is wrong with it beyond what we have done. is there a way to tell if it is the HPOP or stc fitting or something else,

during one of the test cranks the ICP reached 500psi for a second but still didn't even act like it would fire.
Not enough info about the truck to say if it even has the troublesome STC fitting. Those fittings were used from 2005 through 2007 model years.
While cranking the engine over, does the oil pressure gauge move?
Have you checked low pressure oil flow? Remove oil filter cap, remove oil filter, use a long handled screwdriver to hold down the drain valve and crank the engine over. The housing should fill fairly quickly.

A quote from the no-start checklist:

Quote:
If possible, you can pull the ICP and install a pressure gauge to check the pressure in the “high pressure oil system”. Crank the engine and watch the pressure. You need 500 psig to start. The fitting needed for this is the same as that for the fuel pressure test port.
Here is a way of checking to see if you have sufficient high pressure oil without having a gauge or adapter. Strip back the wires about an inch away from the icp sensor connector. Obtain a digital multimeter and set it for voltage (DC). The bn-wh wire is a five volt reference, leave that alone. Strip back the db-lg signal wire and the gy-rd ground wire. Put positive lead on a dark blue-light green wire and negative lead on gray-red wire. Have an assistant crank truck, you need a minimum of 0.80 volts (500 psi) for the truck to start, if you are getting greater than that then you have sufficient high pressure oil.

To check your ipr and hp oil system:
1. Get an ipr connector from Ford and put 2 long wires on the end, plug it into the ipr. Later you will attach the 2 long leads to b+ and negative ...... this will close the ipr.

2. Then remove your icp sensor (04.25 and up truck??) from the passenger side valve cover and thread a fitting in with an air fitting on the end (so you can apply compressed air to the hp oil system).

3. Remove your oil fill cap, your intake up to the turbo (get the ccv out of the valve cover at least), and the hot side cac tube.

4. Then, command the IPR closed for only 30 seconds, apply 100psi air to the hp oil system and listed to where the leak is coming from.

When you hear it you've found your problem....that is assuming you have a hp oil problem.
If your building low and high oil pressure fine, then you've just wasted your time.

Generally on no-start conditions that are related to "high pressure oil" leaks, the vehicle will still develop low pressure system pressures. However, the plug on the H.P. oil feed can occasionally blow out, the H.P. pump seal can blow out, and on the '03-04 trucks the ball on the side of the H.P. pump blow out - causing loss of base oil pressure.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

To answer both replys, no metal shavings around old IPR. new on in now.
yes, checked low pressure pump is working, fills filter area fast.
yes gauge moves, we have good base oil pressure.

ICP reads 280- 320 while cranking.

we did pressurize the ICP but didn't run wires to IPR to close. Can hear air leak out of Oil fill?
Old 02-18-2014, 08:04 PM
information regurgitator

You hear that from the oil fill because, since you have not commanded the IPR..it is shooting the air into the oilpan.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, that makes sense. so if IPR is closed and pressurize ICP and don't hear any Leaks. HPOP is bad?
Old 02-18-2014, 09:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Can a scan gauge ll close the ICP valve or does it have to be manually closed with jumper wires described above?
Old 02-19-2014, 05:11 AM
information regurgitator

When the IPR is closed, the HPO system will pressurize. Then you listen for where the leak is.

SG II can not control the IPR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.