ficm failure 6.0 50 amp fuse - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 10:09 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ficm failure 6.0 50 amp fuse

Anybody have some advice on figuring out ficm failure and 50 amp fuse blowing.
Have a BulletProof Diesel ficm supply set at 58V and keeps blowing the 50 Amp fuse. Eventually even toasted the BPD supply too!! Any help at all?? I called up BPD and they sent me a new piece and it got the engine to start again, but still have a long long crank and have to hold the starter engaged till it will stay running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 10:12 AM

By the way!! The new ficm supply is set for stock 48V. and I only tried to start it once!! I don't wan't to blow another ficm to something I could be overlooking.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You need to find out if that is a shared circuit that powers more than one thing.
Something else may be blowing the fuse.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:47 PM

interesting

the BPD has no related issues that I have ever read about who at BPD did you deal with ?

any input from them ? are they giving your old one a autopsy did they just send the power supply or did they send u a complete unit ?

any way to monitor some pids ? the SCT should work with a laptop ?

you only tried to start it once I would do it some more if it were mine and see if it clears up
Old 02-18-2014, 02:44 PM
information regurgitator

I doubt there is anything else on that circuit unless someone did something they shouldn't have.
Here is a quote from a thread from this morning that may explain all this..From one of the helpful folks over at BPD

Quote:
If you bought it 15 months ago, it's an earlier revision power supply. When our vendor went to machine placing (vs. hand placing) the components on the boards, we had some quality control issues. This caused poor solder joints on a few of the smaller parts. This in turn would cause the power supply to fail.

We have since changed the layout, component placement and quality control. If it turns out that you have this issue, Andrew will expedite getting you a new one under warranty.
So, he may have been one of the unfortunate few that got one of those and that is what blew the fuse.
I wouldn't hesitate trying again if it was me. You only tried one turn of the key....
Paulliewog likes this.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:37 PM

I am going to try again but I don't wan't to work on it during this -30 degree weather we are having. Plastic parts don't like to be touched when they are cold. Not only that I don't want to expose the electrical system to any possible snow or water that may drop onto opened connectors. Supposed to warm up to slightly above freezing, I just hope a day or two of sun to go along with that would be nice.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:44 PM

I spoke with Andrew Presley. He has been a great help so far. Just the fact that they warrantied the supply puts them up at the top far above anyone else.
I do not have a scan tool that will read all the PID'S that I need, nor any wiring diagrams.
I'm gonna try the truck again hopefully by this weekend to see how things go.
Sentinel@BPD likes this.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
BulletProof Diesel is the BEST when it comes to customer service and they continue to prove it. Glad that you were able to speak with Andrew. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Sentinel@BPD likes this.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:54 PM

The quality control issue I believe is the reason they had to bump the price of the FICM's 100$. Either way they have surpassed all my expectations on everything I have ever purchased,or anything I have ever inquired about.Great company.
Sentinel@BPD likes this.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:33 PM

Tried starting the behemoth today. Weather was kind of nice, for a Canadian town. Sunny and warmed up above the freezing point. Still takes about 15 seconds of cranking and it starts, runs for about 3 or 4 seconds and quits. Let the glow plugs do their thing again, crank and then about 8 seconds of cranking it fired up and stayed running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.