Truck wont start without being plugged in overnight - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 02:11 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck wont start without being plugged in overnight

So I have been having some issues getting my truck started when its not plugged in for long periods of time. If I plug the truck in over night (8 hours) it will start up pretty quickly. However, if I dont have the truck plugged in, or its only plugged in for a very short amount of time, than it cranks (strong at first, than kinda dies down) but will not fire. Anyone have any idea what may be going on? I read sometime that the A/C clutch can lock up, or that the oil pressure isnt strong enough. To me it seems to make sense that it would be an oil issue, since the longer its plugged in the more likely it is to start up, but still I had it plugged in for about 2 hours today with the outside temp being around 40 degrees and it still wouldnt start. There arnt any codes being thrown either. Any ideas?

I should also mention that I just brought this into a shop on Saturday, they suggested starting out with some normal maintenance things, did an oil and filter change, and fuel filter change. Also once the truck is hot it starts up fine.

Last edited by and.decarlo; 02-17-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Without knowing anything else Im gonna guess your ficm is weak. After I had mine redone I was amazed at how much better the truck started. The next thing I might guess is you are running dino oil. If you do a oil change and running something like Rotella t5 or t6 the truck will fire up so much faster.
Have you pulled your batt's and had them tested seperatly?
Old 02-17-2014, 03:06 PM

I had my batteries tested a couple times at autozone with their little battery tester, both passed every time. I also had them pulled and tested at the shop on Saturday, again they passed. I run t6 in my truck, so im not sure the oil would be the issue. If it was the ficm, was that a reflash of it, or did you have yours replaced.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:11 PM

Another thing I forgot to mention. My wife was driving it and was stranded at school because it wouldnt fire up, but she was able to get some guys to help her jump start it. It was cranking already, but it took a little extra juice to get it started
Old 02-17-2014, 03:26 PM

Just because batteries test good doesn't mean they are, I never really trust those things. I'd start looking at your whole electrical system. Batteries alternator and FICM. Do you have a monitor? If so post up what your FICM voltage is, battery voltage at idle and WOT. If you don't have a monitor do you have a multimeter? If your electrical system tests out okay then I'd start looking at your HP oil system for leaks.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:29 PM

Sounds like a glowplug issue. how long did it set at the school (all day ). Do u have a monitor in your truck, that would help alot.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:27 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargentoPistola View Post
Just because batteries test good doesn't mean they are, I never really trust those things. I'd start looking at your whole electrical system. Batteries alternator and FICM. Do you have a monitor? If so post up what your FICM voltage is, battery voltage at idle and WOT. If you don't have a monitor do you have a multimeter? If your electrical system tests out okay then I'd start looking at your HP oil system for leaks.
^^^ x2 what he said.
The thing that really stands out is the fact that plugging it in makes it easier to start. That points right at a FICM failure. How? The problem with the FICMs is that the solder they used pretty much sucked.
Then you have the environment that the FICM lives in. Its bolted to the valve cover where it will get hot and vibrate.
The board will expand/contract at a different rate than the solder does also.
End result is that the joint between the solder and the board can develop a tiny airgap when the board is cold...heat that board up and the joint is tight again..resulting in the truck starting.
The slow cranking when cold says the batteries are on their way out, or that the alternator is not fully charging them..or both. The FICM failure at that point would be a symptom and not a cause. The cause would be a weak alternator slowly killing your batteries which wiped out your FICM. Get it all checked...
Old 02-17-2014, 05:42 PM

Thank you all for the advice and comments, I am taking it to a local diesel shop tomorrow to get it checked out as I dont have the time at the moment. Will keep you updated.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:04 PM

What kills the batteies is the lack of power going to them at start up until the glow plugs relay shuts down no power is given the the batteies, this could be a long as a mintute or so. after how many cold starts with no juice going to the batties do you think it will take to make them weak ? Bad ford design. Run a large jumper wire from the Alt. to the pass. side battery ( not stock ) clean all ground connections and there is alot for them. Run a large ground connection off the pass side battery to the frame ( not stock ) and start the trouble shooting issue your batteies will last alot longer and not take out your FICM. your batteies never get a charge until the glow plug relay shuts off thanks to ford. This will cure that
Old 02-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

Is your check engine light on? Have you checked to see if the glow plugs are working properly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.