My 6.0 won't stay running - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NYC F-350

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 04:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My 6.0 won't stay running

Hello all, thank you for allowing me to join your forum. I have owned my 05 F250 6.0 powerstroke for about 6,000 miles now. The other day I changed my oil for the second time since owning this truck. First time went smoothly, second time I accidentally broke the top off the filter cap trying to get my socket off. I had to move the truck a very short distance, didn't think this would be a big problem but lost a lot of oil doing this and of course my "check gauges" light came on. I also live in Northern Colorado where this time of year is single digit weather. I left the truck unplugged for a couple of days while the truck sat waiting for me to get a replacement cap. I got an aftermarket NAPA cap and it seamed to not screw in quite as snugly as but it tightened down just fine. I haven't replaced any oil and my dip stick does not register even at the low mark. So here is the problem; the truck has a hard time starting, when it does start it won't stay running. Is this just because I am low on oil or I know it could be fuel jelling also? Could there be something a lot worse from moving the vehicle with no oil pressure? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Go buy an OEM cap and Motorcraft or Racor filter. Using the proper filter and cap is essential in maintaining these trucks, especially with the HEUI system. Just how far did you drive and how much oil did you lose? Running these on low oil and low oil pressure is horrible.

Last edited by SargentoPistola; 02-16-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:11 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb056.0 View Post
I got an aftermarket NAPA cap and it seamed to not screw in quite as snugly as but it tightened down just fine.
Take the aftermarket cap off and place it where it belongs. In the nearest trashcan. That isn't just a plain old cap, it has pieces on it the must properly engage the oil filter for it to work properly. Ford and International have patents on the filter housing, the filter and the cap. The aftermarket tries to come up with ways to make their filters/caps work that do not infringe on that patent...and they fail. Watch the video below for more detailed info:
Motorcraft Power Stroke Diesel Filter Comparison - YouTube

Quote:
I haven't replaced any oil and my dip stick does not register even at the low mark. So here is the problem; the truck has a hard time starting, when it does start it won't stay running. Is this just because I am low on oil or I know it could be fuel jelling also? Could there be something a lot worse from moving the vehicle with no oil pressure? Thanks in advance.
Wait..what? You know your low on oil by a big margin and your starting the truck? Stop and ponder that for a second.

After that enlightenment, think about just HOW the injectors in the 6.0 work. They are fired by high pressure OIL. This engine has two separate oiling systems, a low pressure and a high pressure. The low pressure oil system lubricates the engine much the same as all other engines. The high pressure oil system is fed low pressure oil into a pump that pressurizes it up to 4000psi. depending on engine load and this is what fires the injectors. No oil = no run.

My advice... Spend a good week on here reading threads in the 6.0 engine section BEFORE ever going out and touching your key to that ignition switch again..or sell your truck for whatever you can get out of it now, before you cause serious damage to it.
SargentoPistola likes this.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

While I do appreciate your replies to my thread. I do not appreciate being patronized. You have been very helpful, thank you.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:30 PM
information regurgitator

It wasn't meant to be patronizing.
Your post showed that you clearly do not understand how this engine runs and how important it is to run OEM parts. Going aftermarket with the wrong part on this engine will cost you THOUSANDS, possibly TENS of thousands of dollars. I ask you to educate yourself BEFORE you inadvertently cost yourself a whole crapton of cash.
For instance, that $30 cap can cause your engine to have difficulty restarting when the oil is hot. It could just run like it is being held back when the oil is hot, it could cause the engine to just shut down when the oil is hot...and WILL result in longer cranking times when the oil is cold.
Bring those symptoms to a mechanic that is not intimate with the 6.0, and your repair bill will be long, expensive and you are walking for weeks for no reason.
My post was serious, and a warning.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is why I have joined this forum, to educate myself. This is my first diesel engine and I have researched the 6.0 a lot. I do have a lot to learn, I certainly don't deny that. Before I do anything to this truck I do my research. I have learned that Motorcraft parts are essential for proper functioning of this engine, although sometimes they can be very hard to get quickly based on my location. Thank you for your help.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:34 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
This is why I have joined this forum, to educate myself. This is my first diesel engine and I have researched the 6.0 a lot. I do have a lot to learn
Well, lets get you going on that.
Start by downloading the 3 coffeetable books about the 6.0 from the Diesel Technicians Society website. You'll want all 3 for comparisons between the model years.
Click this link: CoffeeTable Books

I also suggest reading the articles posted over there. Most of them are about the 6.0, though there are a few for the 6.4, 6.7 and the 7.3
Check out the list in the right column. Articles - Articles - DTS

Now we can start talking about what you as an owner must do if you ever hope to keep your 6.0 on the road.
Click the first link in my signature line entitled "Basic info for the 6.0 owner." That is something I wrote a few years back, and while it may need a bit of updating, the basics are all there.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You do regurgitate info . I love it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.