06 erratic speedo - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 erratic speedo

I have an 06 king ranch I've owned for about 8 months now and the past couple of months my speedometer has been very erratic, when it first started it completely stopped working for about 2 weeks and one day I got in it and what do ya know its working again, well when iFirst get in the truck it works fine now but after about 20 mins of driving it will start to bounce and eventually stop working completely again until I let it sit over night, I plan on taking the speed sensor out at the end of the week and cleaning it but I was also curious as to what fuse is the vss fuse I could not seem to find it anywhere in the manual, I'll be making a 22 hour trip at the end of the week and don't really want to have to deal with reduced power and possibly tickets cause I can't see how fast I'm going
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
if the ABS light isnt on then I doubt its the sensor.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No abs light at all just get the p0500 code for the speed sensor circuit fault, I erase it and still nothing
Old 02-16-2014, 06:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine has done similar things did 2 years in cold weather. I've never been able to figure it out!
Old 02-17-2014, 12:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well its cold here but that is not why its doing this, also another side affect is the 4x4 stops working and if I continue to drive the truck with the speedometer like this it will not start working again until the truck is allowed to sit a while, and over the past couple days it has only been lasting about 2 miles and quits, does nobody know where this fuse is or what??
Old 02-28-2014, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My 06 had problems with the speedo as well in cold weather. Mine would hang up at different speeds and not come back to 0 until you cycled the truck on and off with long lead times between. I checked and cleaned the abs sensors and checked every fuse I could think of. Finally took it to Ford and they said I had to replace the whole cluster, instead I sent it circuitboardmedics.com and they rebuilt the cluster with new stepper motors and have never had a problem out of it since. The rebuild was 150 or so if I remember. Just my .02 so take it for what it's worth.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I figured out what the problem was, I was on my 1300 mile trip and towing a trailer and finally got tired of it being in limp mode, I was doing some research and someone on another forum had said something about the wire on the back of the cluster coming unplugged, ( mind you this was after the $85 speed sensor ) I proceeded to pull out the CD player in a gas station parking lot and started bending the tabs in to pull it out and my speedo started jumping everywhere, needless to say it was a short and it is fixed now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.