Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

No instrument cluster, no lights, rough running/stalls

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JLRDiesel 
#1 ·
Drove my truck yesterday, no problem. Get in today and turn the key to get the glow plug light on.... nothing on the instrument cluster works - no fuel level, no oil pressure, no turbo psi, no glow plug light, etc. I think I may have the ABS and airbag light on or something but that's it.

Turn the key to ACC and I can hear the fuel pump, turn the key to start and no problem, starts like it always has. Go to drive it around the block in the neighborhood and it bucks and drives like poo. Turn it off, let it sit, try it again and same thing.

Anyone have any idea what could be the issue? Def not going to drive it anywhere but would like to try and fix the problem myself before it gets towed...

Truck info should be in m sig but if its not, '06 F250 FX4. Sinister upgrades, egr delete, etc. No tuner or anything either.

Thanks in advance - Joe

#3 ·
It is almost always caused by low battery power during cranking. You either have bad batteries, poor connections at the batteries or any of the other connections/grounds.

#4 ·
Funny, after about a two days I went out and it cranked up fine with no issues in the cluster. Took it to get the batteries tested... batteries tested fine but came back that the voltage regulator is bad. Ive read the voltage regulator is located inside the alternator so I will put in a new alternator. Going to get a scanguage II this weekend too to keep an eye on things.

Chad388: havent checked for any codes. I have EGR delete so my CEL is always on, unfortunately, but will do that when I have the alternator put on.

FWIW I check all fuses inside and out as well as all relays. I have a feeling its the charging system. For some reason I have always been skeptical of it for no reason at all. But as I stated earlier, batteries tested good.

Anyone know of any bolt in factory upgrades for the alternator? Perhaps an ambulance or snowplow alternator???

#5 ·
I have the same exact problem. On the dot. It starts up but no gauges, abs light on. It drives, I park it and then it does that starting crap. It has to be an electrical component of some sort. If you haven't gotten a alternator I'll guinea pig it an go get one an report with good or bad news

#6 ·
Still haven't has any additional issues. Waiting to order a scuangauge II to watch my amps during cranking and idle. We'll see if it's the alternator or a relay somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.