Dump Body Electrical Wire shorted, now Crank No Start issue. Pls help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 05:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dump Body Electrical Wire shorted, now Crank No Start issue. Pls help!

2006 F350 6.0 Dump Body Stock except for KN Intake...

HERES THE STORY:

I was out plowing the other night and i put the truck in reverse, pressed the lift button on my fishstick and BANG. I hear a loud bang under my feet and my truck instantly shuts off. I put it back in park, try to restart it and it CRANKS NO START.

I get out of the truck and see that the electrical cable that runs from the battery to the solenoid (i believe this is what it is) for the dump controller/body is hanging and laying in the snow. This is what i heard POP/BANG. I got a new terminal and hooked the cable back onto the solenoid. The cable was horribly corroded, as you can see in the left cable in the pictures. (the right side going to the cab is where it came off). Once i got it hooked back up i tried starting again it it cranked no start again.

Closeup Photo by surfmotion1 | Photobucket

Far Photo by surfmotion1 | Photobucket

I then checked all the fuses and I replaced the IDM Relay #304. Still crank no start.

As i'm checking the fuse box under the hood i notice that my Degas/Coolant Resevoir is BONE DRY. I had noticed that truck's motor blower/fan (i believe thats what its called), was blowing/"whooshing" really hard when i really gunned the truck. It was so loud at times that i could barely hear the turbo spooling. I don't know if this issue is related to the Crank no start, or just a whole other story... It was making this noise for 6-8 hours. Hadn't really heard excessive motor blower/fan "whooshing" prior to this event. Here are pictures of the Degas, there was minimal white residue on the cap/reservoir or anywhere else i could see in that area of the engine bay, but it looked like it was definitely spewing out the cap a little...

photo_2copy_zps2aa6c824.jpg Photo by surfmotion1 | Photobucket

photo_1copy_zps8748d057.jpg Photo by surfmotion1 | Photobucket

At this point, I called for a tow and I had it towed to my local mechanic (a guy i went to high school with) who knows diesels but doesn't work on them everyday. He has the ford scan tool and it read 3 codes for FICM and a couple other Power Codes.

My questions are:
-when the dump body wire shorted out, could that fry the FICM? or is there something else that caused the wire to short which in turn fried the FICM?
-if the Degas is bone dry, is it possible that it is just an EGR issue and hasn't reached the Head Gaskets? or is it a high probability that the issue went straight to the HG's?
-has anyone ever ordered a rebuilt FICM from Rudy's Diesel in NC? he's on ebay.

In general, i just want to know if you guys have any insight/ideas on what my issues could be. also, i read somewhere that issues like this Need to be checked out by a certified diesel tech. this buddy of mine would never get into anything on my truck without being 100% positive he could fix it properly.

as of now, I'm going to order the FICM from Rudy's and my mech is going to install it when it comes in. Then we will (hopefully) get the truck started and go to the Coolant issue from there.

i am sorry for the long post. this is my first diesel and am learning as i go. i am obviously stressed and wanted to write this all down on the forum for any and all insight you guys have. thank you for reading and thank you in advance for any input.

MATT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
crank no start, degas, egr, head gaskets 6.0, wire short

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.