Gelling up....again... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 05:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gelling up....again...

A few months ago it got like -25 with wind chill. truck gelled up. changed both filters. Ran fine! Today it got cold not as bad. But like -16. Ran fun. once i got on the highway it started to cut out really bad. got back on back roads way to work. anything over 55 its starts to cut out. think its gelled again or something different. im gonna change filters...again... after work and hope that helps. Just hate when it gets this cold i have to worry about it. Think something in front of the grille will help a little? Just open to ideas. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 10:02 AM

While blocking off part of the radiator will help your motor warm up faster, gelling is a fuel issue and wont help much.
Gelling useually shows up in the first part of the fuel system mainly the HFCM and first fuel filter. These are located under the truck outside the engine compartment.

In a way I hate to respond to cold issues because I have little personal experience I can only go by antedotal evidence, what I hear or read. I mean I only live 12 miles from falling into the gulf of Mexico freezeing is not something we do often.

I imagine you folks up north find it funny when you see on the news that the whole state shuts down when it reaches freezeing, schools are closed, public buildings and the bridges and overpasses shut down the highway systems. Hell we cant even drive the wrecker buisness quadruples during a freese spell everybody is out in the weeds. LOL
Old 02-06-2014, 10:11 AM

well the last time it did this. it was the bottom filter. i changed that one and the top one. just has to be something to keep it from doin this. i always add stuff to my fuel in the winter also. most gas stations around here wont pay the extra cash to get that stuff added to their fuel in the winter.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:21 PM

this is a big problem this year for a lot of diesels the fuel sucks anymore. thanks to the EPA nazi`s. what antigell do u use, ford makes agood one i use crc or diesel mate and if it gets super cold i will add kero only ever gelled one time, hope that helps. i`m also trying to get a hold of a friend in alaska to see how they deal with it
Old 02-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

Maybe you could try some of those "blanket type" heaters that they use in seriously cold areas. I have seen em on oil pans and tranny pans before and they basicially have adhesieve that sticks em to what ever u push them against and they will keep it warm. you could put a couple of them on the bottom of your fuel tank and You could plug them in overnight like you would a block heater. Once the trucks running the heat from the engine heats the fuel going back to the tank slightly so that doesn't hurt either.

Andy
Old 02-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I gelled up for the second time this winter last night. Both times have been at the first fuel filter on the frame. I've run DK white bottle and Howe's antigel too. Both times at high volume stations. Very frustrating to say the least. Had to limp home both times over 30 miles. I'm also open to suggestions on preventing this from happening...
Old 02-07-2014, 04:58 AM

well i got off work yesterday. found a spot at work to plug it in. i went to the parts store to get new filters and another bottle of Diesel 911. before i headed to the shop i tossed the whole bottle in the truck. Hit the highway and it ran fine.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.3Powerstroke View Post
well i got off work yesterday. found a spot at work to plug it in. i went to the parts store to get new filters and another bottle of Diesel 911. before i headed to the shop i tossed the whole bottle in the truck. Hit the highway and it ran fine.
I have ran into the same situation and it turned out the pump happened to be "Non-Winterized" diesel. I didn't catch the tiny little decal until next time I was at the same pump. I run the regular Power Service all the time, but in this case it needed a shot of Diesel 911 (half a bottle) to get sorted out.

It really seems to be a more common issue this year. I wonder if it's just a combo of a cold winter for a larger part of the country than normal and there being Bio-Diesel everywhere.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

first off, fuel doesnt give a crap about wind chill. actual temperatures matter.

second- if you dont know, then treat your fuel. sounds like the first time shoulda learned ya, but at any rate add a good antigel every fill up this time of year. but I think you already figured that out.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobetta View Post
first off, fuel doesnt give a crap about wind chill. actual temperatures matter.

second- if you dont know, then treat your fuel. sounds like the first time shoulda learned ya, but at any rate add a good antigel every fill up this time of year. but I think you already figured that out.
I have to agree 100%.

I use the Ford anti gel and haven't had any problems, not even up in the high country hunting. Even if the station says it's winterized fuel I still put the anti-gel in. I made an assumption once about a fuel station, the next morning I had to plug it in for about an hour and half before it would start. Won't ever make that mistake again. I have also used the Power Service anti-gel and I don't know if there is much of a difference and haven't found a difference between that and the Ford stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.