Question about cold start smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question about cold start smoke

I've noticed that the past few times I've started my truck after sitting more than 24 hours, it smokes white/greyish smoke at first. If I burp the throttle, it goes to black (Looney Tune) but immediately turns white/greyish again. EGR is deleted, and the truck isn't puking a bit, just barely over 100 miles on a fresh set of OEM head gaskets and studs. The only concern I have is when I installed the injectors, I just torqued them down to 31 ft/lbs and didn't 'tap' them in place like some do. The injectors are the original ones that came out, but I did put new o-rings and copper washers on each one.

Once the truck warms up, the smoke does go away. So maybe it's normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 02:37 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How cold out is it where you are

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-05-2014, 03:22 PM

In the 40s
Old 02-05-2014, 03:34 PM

You may have one or more injectors with the dribbles. excess fuel and when it finally burns off it quits smokeing.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
You may have one or more injectors with the dribbles. excess fuel and when it finally burns off it quits smokeing.
That's what my gut says, but I don't have any hard evidence to go on at the moment. No codes, and the smoke doesn't really reek of diesel fuel. It smells like diesel, but more like exhaust if that makes sense.

Today I started the truck to move it, and it ran fine, smoked a little of course. (Temps hit a high of 42 today). Tried to start the ol 7.3 to take it to work, and it had dead batteries. So I got back in the 6.0 and started it, and it ran rough, like a multiple cyl. misfire and was puffing out stormcloud-grey (dark grey) smoke, in rythm with the misfire. I shut the truck off, checked for anything obvious (loose ficm connector, leaks, etc), didn't find anything, so I restarted the truck and it ran perfectly normal. Drove it home tonight and she still ran great. Not sure what to think of the random misfire.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:50 PM

I had a similar issue. On these cold Florida mornings the truck would miss and smoke until warm-eot 115.
Well I had a battery crap out on me and it threw a FICM code and three injector codes even tho my voltages were very good.
I tossed another ficm in it and noticed my injector buzz was louder and ran longer. Started it up and it ran as smooth cold as it does hot.

2005 F350 CCLB FX4
Old 02-05-2014, 11:14 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
What does your FICM volts look like while it's running rough? Did you notice any wire chaffing while you had the truck apart? These 6.0 are known to have several chaffing problem areas. Next time it starts to run rough, jump under the hood and try moving/wiggling all the wiring harness's to the FICM... and out of the FICM to the valve covers. You also never said how long it takes for the smoke to clear up.

Juinor, it should be noted that different strategy codes will cause different injector coil buzz sounds. Not sure what strategy does what but I do know it changes the way they sound when cold. Might be worth looking into. Dave has quiet a bit of knowledge on this.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:41 AM

From what I can tell the smoke doesn't clear up until the truck is nearly at full operating temp, 180*-192*.

Honestly I didn't look at the ficm volts while it was running rough, I'll make a point to snapshot the CTS next time it does that. While I had the truck apart I checked the harness for issues and didn't see any issues, but I will try wiggling the connectors next time.

Fwiw, the FICM volts don't drop below 47.5 during warmup.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

keep good batteries in the ol 7.3 and have no problems. set the 6.0 on fire and collect insurance money
Old 02-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

good luck in whatever direction you go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.