weird oil psi concern!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Please Visit our Site Sponsors
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
weird oil psi concern!!!!!

Hey guys so i have a 2003 6.0l that I'm working on, and i have a crank no start concern,
steps that i have done- checked for base oil pressure at oil filter, by removing oil filter and cranking, oil filter bowl fills up good,
checked base fuel pressure coming from rail pump, good
checked icp with snap on scanner, reading at 788psi
checked ipr, % is good,
heres the tricky part i have no oil going to the turbo feed line, or no oil reaching the oil pressure sensor, but i have oil at the oil filter, weird huh..
so i pulled the oil cooler to see if i had any restriction and found nothing, when i pulled the oil cooler, i noticed the oil screen that sits under the oil cooler to be broken, the screen part that is, and their was only 1/4 of a quart sitting in that oil cooler area..........

what do you guys think? spun bearing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 08:18 PM

I just replaced the injectors in my 03 and have an occasional hot no start, thought it was do to a bad o-ring maybe on the oil rail injector cups, but as it just happened after replacement I ruled out HPOP issues. Runs great fires right up 90 % of the time but I noticed the other day the dash oil pressure gauge was reading nothing lol. I’m so use to just watching my monitor anymore I don’t look at the dummy gauges. Now here is something to think about does the Oil pressure gauge have an effect of the truck starting? I will unplug mine tomorrow and see if it starts but will buy a new ford oil pressure sensor before I get to concerned.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:59 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP-1 View Post
does the Oil pressure gauge have an effect of the truck starting?
No. That "gauge" is actually nothing more than an on/off pointer. What you are calling and oil pressure sensor is actually a pressure switch. Above 7psi, it moves the needle on the dash to "norm." Useless piece of garbage, yes?
If you actually have 0psi oil pressure, your truck isn't going to run because oil is needed to fire the injectors.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:35 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie06f350harley View Post
when i pulled the oil cooler, i noticed the oil screen that sits under the oil cooler to be broken, the screen part that is, and their was only 1/4 of a quart sitting in that oil cooler area.
Torn HPOP screen is very common if it is the original screen. Original screens were nylon, the replacements are stainless steel and available at your Ford dealer. It should run between 8-16 bucks. <link>
When you buy the Ford oil cooler replacement, that screen comes with it also.
Quote:
what do you guys think? spun bearing?
No, i don't think it is a spun bearing.
I would suspect that something is going on within the oil cooler cover or the turbo oil supply line itself.
How did you check to see if there was oil flow to the line?
Did you pull it off the turbo? If so, it could be the line itself.
If you removed the turbo oil supply line from the oil cooler cover to check for flow, then the problem is internal to the cover.

The path the oil takes through the engine is from the oil pan, to the low pressure oil pump, then to the oil cooler, then to oil filter. As the oil exits the oil filter, it goes one of four ways.
left side of the engine, right side of the engine, turbo oil supply and HPOP reservoir (what that torn screen covers).

If it is internal to the oil cooler cover, you could try a used one (there are 3 engine part-outs in the "parts" section that I know of). Either way, I would get a new turbo oil supply line. The newest style does not have the flexible section anymore. It is a solid line from cover to turbo. <link>
Since you have an 03 model, Just be aware that this new style line might not fit your existing oil cooler cover because of a change mid-year in 03. Pay close attention to the mounting of the line to the cover. If your existing line is attached to the cover with what appears to be a large nut on the line itself, then you would need a new oil cooler cover to be able to use the new supply line. The supply lines and oil cooler cover changed mid-03 to the style all other model years use.

Sorry if that all sounds a bit confusing. If I lost you along the way in there, just let me know.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

weird oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Torn HPOP screen is very common if it is the original screen. Original screens were nylon, the replacements are stainless steel and available at your Ford dealer. It should run between 8-16 bucks. <link>
When you buy the Ford oil cooler replacement, that screen comes with it also.

No, i don't think it is a spun bearing.
I would suspect that something is going on within the oil cooler cover or the turbo oil supply line itself.
How did you check to see if there was oil flow to the line?
Did you pull it off the turbo? If so, it could be the line itself.
If you removed the turbo oil supply line from the oil cooler cover to check for flow, then the problem is internal to the cover.

The path the oil takes through the engine is from the oil pan, to the low pressure oil pump, then to the oil cooler, then to oil filter. As the oil exits the oil filter, it goes one of four ways.
left side of the engine, right side of the engine, turbo oil supply and HPOP reservoir (what that torn screen covers).

If it is internal to the oil cooler cover, you could try a used one (there are 3 engine part-outs in the "parts" section that I know of). Either way, I would get a new turbo oil supply line. The newest style does not have the flexible section anymore. It is a solid line from cover to turbo. <link>
Since you have an 03 model, Just be aware that this new style line might not fit your existing oil cooler cover because of a change mid-year in 03. Pay close attention to the mounting of the line to the cover. If your existing line is attached to the cover with what appears to be a large nut on the line itself, then you would need a new oil cooler cover to be able to use the new supply line. The supply lines and oil cooler cover changed mid-03 to the style all other model years use.

Sorry if that all sounds a bit confusing. If I lost you along the way in there, just let me know.

first of all i like to thank you for your time and reply….
the reason i know its not the turbo line, because i took it off completely from the oil cooler housing and cranked the engine, no oil… removed the oil pressure switch from cooler cover and nothing no oil… removed the oil cooler completely and took apart oil cooler housing, and no restrictions found….

weird thing is that i did have oil at filter bowl before i tore it down, forgot to mention truck has new front cover and new jeroter pump, due to previous issues, so there is micro metal residue all over…

one of my buddies say this don't make sense due that i still have icp pressure at desire pressure….. i agree

oh and i already have a new oil cooler on stand by, and know they come with a new screen...
Old 02-04-2014, 10:27 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
forgot to mention truck has new front cover and new jeroter pump, due to previous issues, so there is micro metal residue all over.
OK, you got me real curious now...what happened that created that?
I wonder what effect that event could have on the anti-drainback valve and the oil cooler bypass valve.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
OK, you got me real curious now...what happened that created that?
I wonder what effect that event could have on the anti-drainback valve and the oil cooler bypass valve.
well to be honest i bought the truck like that.. history was that i guess the truck lost base oil pressure so there fore the front cover was replaced, at this point i want to say i want to replace the oil cooler with cooler housing…..
Old 02-05-2014, 02:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I am thinking along the lines of NYC some type of low pressure oil oil system problem.
The turbo is fed from the Low pressure system and not the high and according to this old schematic does not even go thru the cooler, but it is not real clear but doesn't look like it.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yah i knew that the turbo and oil switch are oiled by low oil pressure, dannyboy950 is there anyway you can pm me that oil schematic or put it here don't matter!!
i have some pictures ill post later when i get back to the shop.. thanks guys
Old 02-05-2014, 07:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I am sorry my scanner/printer is out but I can tell you that the web site DTS diesel technitians society has some coffe table books available for down load, while they aren't true shop manuals they have good info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
State/Province
What state or province do you live in?
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter the last two characters of the word "Powerstroke"
Security Question #2
*Required, this field is not shown to others. "While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State the animal mentioned in the sentence above."
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.