Oil in my intake and intercooler piping? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil in my intake and intercooler piping?

Ive recently been adding some gauges to my 03 six liter, When I removed my intake elbow to drill and tap for the boost hook up I noticed an excess of oil sitting in the boot and covered down in the manifold its self. Just trying to find out if this is common or do I have something wrong or going wrong with my baby. Thanks to anyone who has some knowledge on this topic! Hugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Common, from my understanding it's part of the crankcase ventilation system, and that oil is necessary for proper turbo lubrication. Not really sure if it's necessary, as quite a few people reroute the ccv so that it doesn't dump oil into the intake.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

crank case is more than likely overfilled.
egr trucks seem to like to be left a quart low.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay few! When you say egr trucks. Do you trucks that have it deleted or ones that still have them in? Thanks!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

anything that came equipped with egr. even gas engines. just fill to the middle of the cross hatches and your engine will thank you.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:04 PM
information regurgitator

I'll put my flame suit on and say 2 words...
Draft tube

Let the games begin.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

a road draft/CCV reroute is not needed if the proper oil levels are used
Old 02-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
I'll put my flame suit on and say 2 words...
Draft tube

Let the games begin.
Uh oh, Thats doesn't sounds very good. What do you mean when you say draft tube? Something I can fix to hopefully avoid needing the flame suit?
Old 02-02-2014, 04:37 PM
information regurgitator

What is happening is that the oil that you see actually takes a long time to build up. It escaped the engine in the form of a vapor, but as the vapor cools, the oil drops out and collects on the interior of the piping.

Diesel trucks have been running draft tubes for forever and a day.
Soon enough, there will be some people dropping in here saying that by putting a draft tube on my truck I am harming my engine and warning not to do it for <blah> reason....

My take on it is this:
Don't try to get all fancy and run the line all over hells creation because you don't like the smell.. run it straight down. My draft tube is less than 36 inches long. Don't like the stink coming out of the CCV? Leave it stock.

Running it other than straight down can result in some serious problems like turning your engine into the most expensive oil fountain you have ever seen, and if that happens it will kick you really hard right in the wallet.

That should stir the pot nicely......
Ready
Set
Go
Old 02-03-2014, 07:46 PM

I did my own PVC relocate for around 60.00 bucks and my time. Itís on the driver side just under the front of the bed, looks the same as the expensive kits. The oil you see is from the PVC and itís going into your air intake just before the turbo, it is not a good thing It is not meant to supply oil to the turbo lol where do these guys come up with this stuff. Itís an emissions thing PVCís have been around a long time, but itís not a good thing with a high boost diesel like the 6.0. That oil will leak from your turbo boots and get in your air to air cooler. I know I spent many hours cleaning my after cooler after 8 years of not realizing how much oil vapors are sucked out though the PVC. This is a turbo charged engine so with the PVC going in pre-turbo guess what happens when you have high boost, sucks out the vapors at an excessive rate compared to a naturally aspirated engine. You wonít notice a difference in oil levels on the dip stick as this is vapors and over time it will put a lot of excess oil in a system that should not have oil in it. When I did the relocate I also pulled the air to air and degreased it on the inside and it was nasty it was never meant to have oil in an air to air cooler, and the turbo boots and tubes if you take them off without really cleaning them before reinstalling them you will blow a boot off with high boost and itís no fun pulling over just to put a boot back on. My cooler is much more efficient now and I have zero oil in my air to air system. Good luck just my two cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.