My truck was not running right, and the turbo was making noises so I decided to pull it out for an inspection and cleaning. After spending a day trying to get a damaged rear mounting bolt out, I finally got the turbo cracked open, and did NOT like what I found.
1. the turbine wheel looks like someone has taken bites out of the fins.
2. The unison ring was frozen to the housing with rust or deposits.
3. the vanes were all at least heavily scored. a few actually had holes burned through them!
The only two bits of good news was that the unison ring did not appear to be cracked, and the main shaft does not seem to have any play in it.
So, I'm assuming that if the turbo got hot enough to burn holes in the vanes, it probably also damaged any o-ring in the works.
So my questions are:
1. Does it sound like there is any hope that a professional shop could rebuild this? Or would there be so many parts needed that I would be better off buying a new one?
2. Is there any way I can remove the VGT Control Valve and bench-test it? I know those suckers alone run a couple hundred dollars, and I don't think new turbo's come with them, right?