cooling system pressures.. post em up, shops tryin to play games - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cooling system pressures.. post em up, shops tryin to play games

AHey guys,
Bout a month ago I had my engine studded, and head gaskets replaced. At the same time I did a bigger turbo, injectors, egr delete etc.
Anyway, within 200 miles of it getting done, I noticed that it is still puking from the degas bottle. I checked the coolant level multiple times, and made sure it was dead nuts accurate. I hooked up my cooling system pressure tester and even immediately after startup, the pressure would climb to 16-20. I took the truck back to the shop after only 800 total miles since the repair, and they said that they'd go ahead and fix it. A week later I called the shop and the owner said that it passed a leak down test, and the compression was good, so they weren't sure what to do and that most likely they'd have to do it again due to the fact that he was told by his machine shop that they didn't machine the heads, but only checked them with a straight edge and looked for cracks and they were good. Well today one of their techs called me (instead of the owner who I have been dealing with) and said that my trucks done and in his words "I wasted my time bringing it back in because there is nothing wrong with it". He said he beat the hell out of the truck, took it up to 100 mph on the freeway and couldn't get it to puke. When I asked him about the cooling system pressure he said that it hit 18 but that that's normal and all 3 of his own 6.0's run around there and I shouldn't worry until its around 30. I told him that there's no way the pressure should be that high, and that the head gaskets are most likely blown again, and he proceeded to argue with me and tell me that he knows what he's doing and that the trucks fine

Can you please post up ur cooling system pressures. Having worked for ford and just having some semblance of a brain, I know damn well that a cooling system with a cap that relieves at 16 wouldn't have a operating pressure of 18, and the fact that one of the ford dealers I have talked with told me that the radiator is only rated to 20-25 psi before possibly coming apart.

I'm gonna call tomorrow and talk with the owner, but this tech that called me today was blatantly insulting and one of the most rude people I have delt with in the service industry.

Thanks guys,
Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 04:44 PM
Premium Member

This dude made me more irate than I have been in a long time
Old 01-30-2014, 05:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well since the ford stock cap is designed to relieve at 16 psi it's kinda hard to say that normal operateing pressure is 18 psi.
Kinda sounds like a blooming idiot to me.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

I've been through this myself. Lost a head gasket last summer hauling the camper to Idaho and back. Truck would puke and engine over temp alarm would sound on grades. Noted up to 22 psi in the cooling system. After studs, heads milled with o-rings, and new OEM HGs, I now monitor coolant pressure with my EDGE CTS. Starts at zero each morning and slowly rises to 8.5 psi at operating temp. No change with boost or load.

It seems like you still have problems. Sorry bud.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

Normal driving unloaded I average 5-6psi. On hot days pulling the camper it will climb closer to 8psi. However, after venting the pressure it will stay at 0-1psi.

The shop did a shady job... checking a cylinder head with a straight edge and a visual inspection for cracks!?!?! Take the truck to get a second opinion in writing from a trusted mechanic and take these findings back to the original idiot who worked on your truck.

I would also be a little concerned that he took your truck up to 100mph.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

Yea ur telling me lol. I was like sooooo you took my truck to 100? What if it blew a tire and rolled? U gonna pay for it?

I'm considering adding a coolant pressure gauge. Autometer actually makes one and I think its 0-20psi. Pretty cool.

Thanks for the info guys, the hg's were blown when I got the truck so I don't know what normal should look like.

They also told me that the truck just had to "warm up".because the coolant temp was always low when I first got it back from them. It had a stuck open stat so I changed it myself lol.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:10 PM
Premium Member

Update,

Talked to the owner today, he told me that he personally drove it and it didn't puke coolant at all. He cleaned the bottle before driving it for 30 mins and it didn't puke at all. He said that the coolant pressure only reached 14 psi when he drove it. He said he can't justify redoing the head gaskets if its not puking and it passes a compression test. I mentioned the system pressure being too high and he proceeded to tell me that as long as its not at 16 its ok lol. So I gotta go get the truck tomorrow, and drive it a bit and see if I can get it to puke. I told him that if I have to bring it back I want the gaskets done again, and that I want the heads actually machined and then checked, not just cleaned like he told me they were today. So basicially I gotta drive a truck that I'm 100% sure has a problem and needs the gaskets redone to see if I can get it to puke again.

This has turned into a huge fiasco and I'm seriously pissed.

Andy
Old 01-31-2014, 05:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

they are giving you the run around . the screwed up and dont want to admit it .. how much did they charge you ? did you get a detailed recpit ?
Old 01-31-2014, 05:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

just a quick question, did you replace the bottle/cap? sometimes the cap/bottle fail, causing it to puke even under lower pressures.

have you called any other shops to see what they say?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

They charged me 2500 to do the work. I was goin on xmas vacation and needed the truck when I got back otherwise I would have done it myself. He itemized all the stuff he did, and the parts he used in order to do it. I supplied everything except the head gaskets and the exhaust gaskets.

I called 3 other diesel shops and every one of them said that they use coolant pressure and whether its puking to determine if there's an issue.

Also, I replaced the cap 3 times.

Another thought. When it was puking for me I was running a street tune. Before I took it back to him I set it back to stock, so I'm wondering if the fact that there's no tune/ no load on the truck if that's why it might not be puking for him.

Ill tell u one thing, I play on loading the full fuel race tune and taking it for a drive tomorrow before I even bring it home because I don't wanna have to drive it all the way back over there after it pukes, and if the gaskets r done right which they aren't, it should be more than able to take the added prssure. In his own words, "once your studded there's not a damn thing you could do to that truck to make the head gaskets blow"

Last edited by andyjman; 01-31-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.