No Start: 6.0L Powerstroke ICP Leak Diag - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Start: 6.0L Powerstroke ICP Leak Diag

ICP leaks and no starts can be a huge pain for 6.0L owners. From a truck that never starts to hot no starts to lower performance at high throttle input due to lower than desired icp. In this video I show the basics of ICP leak testing on a truck that will not start hot or cold and how it is supposed to sound when doing the air test so you can pinpoint the location of the leak. I am sure that I will have a Hot no start video in the future but for now this one just had a bad IPR and never built any pressure. By following this method I was able to pinpoint and replace the right faulty component the first time and you will too, saving money by fixing only what needs fixing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

And that is the whole purpose of testing [diagnostics] to begin with. Saveing time and $$$$$

Last edited by dannyboy950; 01-27-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:55 PM

Well, that's fun and all, but what do you do when the system will make 150 psi and still not start? Shop air is much less than the 580 psi required to start one of these engines. I know air is much finer on a molecular level than 15w engine oil, but air tests can be misleading.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnersdieseltech View Post
Well, that's fun and all, but what do you do when the system will make 150 psi and still not start? Shop air is much less than the 580 psi required to start one of these engines. I know air is much finer on a molecular level than 15w engine oil, but air tests can be misleading.
Well yes the shop air is much lower psi than the 500psi it takes to enable the injectors, but as you have said the air can escape much easier than the oil so the lower psi does just fine and has never steered me wrong. This system will seal the air in just fine without any misleading leaks on the 6.0l anyway. Except the hpop shaft seal should have a very slight air leak which is normal and would never cause a no start. This is the exact procedure from Ford. This has been a proven test even on ones that make 300-400 something as I have had many of those and you are just cranking hoping it will make it to 500 to be able to drive it in the shop. Lets just say I have never misdiagnosed a high pressure oil leak and I am no diesel expert that has been assigned as the diesel tech of the dealer that has to deal with them all day. In the end it just works.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 AM

Lets just say that there was a lot of heated discussion on this test as it was being written, proven and later published. If some of us had our way, you would be using compressed nitrogen instead of air because of its molecular composition, cleanliness, and the pressure its distributed at. The weakness of this test is that the rails are not empty when the test is performed. The only area where there is just air is the point of entry. Not to mention, by the time you can actually perform this test, the engine has cooled significantly, if not at room temp. Its a fine test, just take the whole thing with a grain of salt. There are many tools in the toolbox, don't fall in love with just one is my point here. This test is not one hundred percent definitive.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnersdieseltech View Post
Lets just say that there was a lot of heated discussion on this test as it was being written, proven and later published. If some of us had our way, you would be using compressed nitrogen instead of air because of its molecular composition, cleanliness, and the pressure its distributed at. The weakness of this test is that the rails are not empty when the test is performed. The only area where there is just air is the point of entry. Not to mention, by the time you can actually perform this test, the engine has cooled significantly, if not at room temp. Its a fine test, just take the whole thing with a grain of salt. There are many tools in the toolbox, don't fall in love with just one is my point here. This test is not one hundred percent definitive.
I bet there was a heated discussion as icp can be very frustrating. I don't see any shop using compressed nitrogen for testing, I barely see tire shops that do nitrogen fills of tires just not needed. The oil rails do empty out as part of this test that how people find dummy plugs leaking and STC fittings etc it gets all through the system. If the air is in there at 150psi and atmospheric psi is about 14.5 psi I think that psi difference would be enough for that air to get past the trapped oil and seek the lower pressure area. If there is any doubt valve covers come off any you can visually inspect. What I show in this video is the basics as I didn't have to go any further thankfully. Yes there are many other tools for testing. Ford supplies us with block off tools to find which bank is the problem, and if need be dead head the pump. This test can be performed right after a hot road test if a hot no start low icp condition exist, you can have air in the system in a matter of less than a minute to start testing. This one was a no start cold or hot so it was easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.