6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Distilled water questions

Hello,

I started flushing my truck with distilled water yesterday in preparation to switch over to Rotella Ultra ELC. After doing some more reading I need to replace my thermostat since my truck doesn't seem to fully get up to temp. It normally runs around 175-180 according to my SCT. Deltas before the drain were around 9 degrees, and are about the same 2 distilled water flushes in. Problem is it's Sunday and I can't get a thermostat from Ford till tomorrow, if they have one on hand.

How long can I leave the water in my truck? I live in Chula Vista and the temps are supposed to be in the 65-75 range next week. I know 100% distilled water will leech minerals from metals in the cooling system but that takes more than a few days right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 08:21 AM
information regurgitator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00ht View Post
but that takes more than a few days right?
Nope, just a few hours. Might be better off getting the ELC in there, and losing a couple cups worth to replace the thermostat.
It doesn't take long to pull the lower rad hose off into a 5 gallon bucket anyway. Then just pour it back in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please

You could save the life of a sick child
post #3 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 09:05 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
^^^ Don't leave just H2O in it. Put in the ELC and just drain out about 2 gallons when you replace the T-stat. If you are clean on the draining, just pour it back in. If you are fully anal about it, filter the coolant when you put it back in.

Frank
2007 F-250 Lariat Crew. MBM 190/50s,
KC-68 Stage 3 Turbo,

DashBoss/F/P, and a few other goodies

Stiction Problems - Fix it yourself! -

Want to modify your injectors DIY -

Working for Toys

post #4 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I ended up flushing it a few more times this afternoon and then filling it with ELC. That way I don't have to be in a rush if I feel like being lazy this week (happens a lot ) I have 2.5 gallons of concentrate left so I'll mix some 50/50 up to top off after I swap the thermostat if I don't catch all of it.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

OT. Nice bateau there two icebergs.

Lord I shall lead them to the water but I will not try to make them drink
post #6 of 7 Old 01-27-2014, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
8.1l Volvo (496 GM big block) 23' Epic. If I get 2 mpg we are doing good! In a full day we go through 30-40 gallons. Right now it is doing its best imitation of an ice cube in the storage shed. Maybe later this week I will post a picture of a snow bank!

Frank
2007 F-250 Lariat Crew. MBM 190/50s,
KC-68 Stage 3 Turbo,

DashBoss/F/P, and a few other goodies

Stiction Problems - Fix it yourself! -

Want to modify your injectors DIY -

Working for Toys

Last edited by twoicebergs; 01-27-2014 at 05:03 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-27-2014, 07:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

2mpg!? In my dreams!

I got two old v6 two strokes hanging off my transom

2007 6.0 CC FX4 Lariat

Insight CTS, SCT 3015, EGR Delete, 4" TB Exhaust w/hollowed cat, ARP studs, OEM HG, Coolant Filter, BPD Water Pump, K&N CAI, King Ranch interior, Pioneer AVIC x910bt, Nitto Terra Grapplers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode