Higher ECT temps after mods - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-25-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Levi'sford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 22
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Higher ECT temps after mods

This is my first post on this forum. I've been on a few others for a long time, have used this one for research and decided it was time to join. I listed my truck in my sig. I've owned it since new. In December I did the following mods.

KEM ficm tune
Wicked Wheel 2 for Powermax (ran Powermax one year prior)
BPD remote oil cooler w/ cold package, 58v FICM, water pump
Mishimoto radiator and Intercooler. New ford t stat

Issues. First I noticed truck was a little more laggy and EGTs a little hotter. Was told FCIM tune would be warmer and a little smokier. Not sure how I like wheel.

Running tow tune along with FCIM tune my ECT now runs 196-212 driving around town. 50 degrees ambient. EOT takes a while to get to 190. But will run 195-213 in same conditions. I live at 7200' in Colorado. Last week pulling 8k ECT hit 220 and EOT 223. I know deltas are different with BPD oil cooler but this seems hot for winter temps. Not running a winter front. EGTs run 800-1200 in most conditions. I can get to 1300 if I keep in the pedal on an incline.

Seems ECT used to run 188-192 pretty much all the time except when towing. I hit 222 once pulling camper over Wolf Creek but it was August and much hotter. This was with OEM oil cooler. I can hear fan once I get to 210. ECT seems to want to stay near EOT once EOT has gotten above 195. Figured they would be different with oil cooler.

Not sure what to look for. Doing all the mods at once makes it hard to trouble shoot. Thanks for the help. Levi

2015 F350, Platinum, 3.55 locking, Long Bed, Crew Cab, FX4, Ride Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball
Levi'sford is offline  
post #2 of 6 Old 01-26-2014, 04:57 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Somewhere Between Good and Bad
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks: 9
Thanked 61 Times in 60 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi'sford View Post
This is my first post on this forum. I've been on a few others for a long time, have used this one for research and decided it was time to join. I listed my truck in my sig. I've owned it since new. In December I did the following mods.

KEM ficm tune
Wicked Wheel 2 for Powermax (ran Powermax one year prior)
BPD remote oil cooler w/ cold package, 58v FICM, water pump
Mishimoto radiator and Intercooler. New ford t stat

Issues. First I noticed truck was a little more laggy and EGTs a little hotter. Was told FCIM tune would be warmer and a little smokier. Not sure how I like wheel.

Running tow tune along with FCIM tune my ECT now runs 196-212 driving around town. 50 degrees ambient. EOT takes a while to get to 190. But will run 195-213 in same conditions. I live at 7200' in Colorado. Last week pulling 8k ECT hit 220 and EOT 223. I know deltas are different with BPD oil cooler but this seems hot for winter temps. Not running a winter front. EGTs run 800-1200 in most conditions. I can get to 1300 if I keep in the pedal on an incline.

Seems ECT used to run 188-192 pretty much all the time except when towing. I hit 222 once pulling camper over Wolf Creek but it was August and much hotter. This was with OEM oil cooler. I can hear fan once I get to 210. ECT seems to want to stay near EOT once EOT has gotten above 195. Figured they would be different with oil cooler.

Not sure what to look for. Doing all the mods at once makes it hard to trouble shoot. Thanks for the help. Levi
A couple of thoughts:

1) FICM tunes seem to drive up EGTs.
2) Your oil and water temps do seem a little high considering the time of year.
3) With the BPD oil cooler setup, your oil temps no longer influence fan operation. This can present a problem when towing heavy or at slower speeds, as oil temps can climb pretty high. One solution is to have your custom tunes (SCT) modified (or get custom tunes if you don't have them already) to include a fan set point for EOT. Matt at Gearhead Automotive has tunes with this trigger.

2006 CC SB 4x4 6.0L
BPD 6 Phase 53v FICM, EGR, HD Oil Cooler, Bypass Oil Filter & Water Pump
ARP Studs w/ OEM Gaskets
DC Power 190a upper; DB Electric 200a lower alternator
295/65/20 Toyo MTs
PMF 3 Link
7,500LB Tuff Trucks Leveling Coils
Icon 2.5 piggyback CDC shocks
Dynatrac Free Spin Kit with Dynaloc Hubs
EDGE CTS Monitor w/ EGT, pressure, and temp sensors
Blue FPR Spring Kit
Twin F450 Auxiliary Springs
Banks Monster Exhaust
Truetrac rear/E locker Front with 4.11s
skanj0 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to skanj0 For This Useful Post:
Levi'sford (01-26-2014)
post #3 of 6 Old 01-26-2014, 05:06 AM
Member
 
mcdaniel1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Also make sure your thermostat is not opening to hot. If i'm not mistaken it should open at 160*F.
mcdaniel1991 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdaniel1991 For This Useful Post:
Levi'sford (01-26-2014)
post #4 of 6 Old 01-26-2014, 06:38 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Somewhere Between Good and Bad
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks: 9
Thanked 61 Times in 60 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdaniel1991 View Post
Also make sure your thermostat is not opening to hot. If i'm not mistaken it should open at 160*F.
ECT thermostat begins to open at 195f and finishes around 218f. Are you referring to the EOT thermostat that's part of BPDs cold weather package?

2006 CC SB 4x4 6.0L
BPD 6 Phase 53v FICM, EGR, HD Oil Cooler, Bypass Oil Filter & Water Pump
ARP Studs w/ OEM Gaskets
DC Power 190a upper; DB Electric 200a lower alternator
295/65/20 Toyo MTs
PMF 3 Link
7,500LB Tuff Trucks Leveling Coils
Icon 2.5 piggyback CDC shocks
Dynatrac Free Spin Kit with Dynaloc Hubs
EDGE CTS Monitor w/ EGT, pressure, and temp sensors
Blue FPR Spring Kit
Twin F450 Auxiliary Springs
Banks Monster Exhaust
Truetrac rear/E locker Front with 4.11s
skanj0 is online now  
post #5 of 6 Old 01-26-2014, 06:48 AM
Member
 
mcdaniel1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanj0 View Post
ECT thermostat begins to open at 195f and finishes around 218f. Are you referring to the EOT thermostat that's part of BPDs cold weather package?
I didn't see that he had the BPD kit.
mcdaniel1991 is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 01-26-2014, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Levi'sford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 22
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If the turbo is not functioning at lower RPMs would that make the truck run hotter. I data logged and had tuner look at logs. I do have customer tunes for the Powermax. Here were his comments.

"Looking over the recordings and comparing them to the calibration, at idle and up to around 1200 RPM, the VGT duty cycle is much higher than it should be with EBP lower than desired. At higher pedal positions over this threshold, the numbers line up with the calibration desired. This points to an issue with turbo design or operation. Is the acceleration better or worse with the race tune?"

After the mods I would have expected the ECT to be lower since it wasn't cooling the oil. Figures deltas would be further apart and EOT would run hotter. EOT seems ok. ECT really fluctuates a lot. I can go from 194 to 210 either way really fast once truck is good and warmed up.

2015 F350, Platinum, 3.55 locking, Long Bed, Crew Cab, FX4, Ride Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball
Levi'sford is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome