fuel gelling, additivies, and outside tempeartures - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel gelling, additivies, and outside tempeartures

I am a new owner of a diesel truck. I purchased a Ford F-350 6L in August with 88,500 miles and now have 101,500 miles. I park my truck outside and use a block heater that is plugged in whenever I am not driving (when temperatures are 32 F or below). I live in the Chicago area and the temperatures have been unusually low.

In the last three weeks I have had problems with fuel gelling or ice crystals three times. The first two times the temperatures were -15F and -10F and I had driven about 20 minutes on the highway before having problems. The third time the temperature was about 5 or 10F and I drove four hours before having problems.

I was using Howe's fuel additive when I had the first two problems, then switched to Seafoam before the last problem. I have since switched to Power Service 911.

I am unclear on how low an outside temperature is realistic to drive my truck and I have seen on the forum, there are a lot of different opinions on fuel additives. I am thinking about adding a fuel line / filter heater because the temperatures appear to be slipping into the single digits and below zero for the foreseeable future.

I am interested in any feedback on outside temperatures, additives, and fuel line heaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the site. There is a number of guys on here from Alaska and a big ole boat load of Canadian's that laugh at our "cold weather" issue's. So I don't believe the 6.0 is a fair weather only truck.
When was the last time you drained your water sep? As far as fuel additives I run the white bottle of power service and 2 cycle oil. 16 ounces per fill up.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:39 PM

I run diesel clean white bottle and optilube have never had problems, but this low sulfur fuel sucks big
Old 01-25-2014, 02:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have changed the fuel filters twice. Once after about 10,000 miles and I changed them after the problem with gelling / ice crystals. I am embarrassed to say I did not think to drain the fuel water separator. I'm not even sure where it is so I guess I have a small project for tomorrow morning.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

power service / diesel kleen--- white for winter, silver for summer. at below 0 not plugged in for 12hrs overnite my 6.0 starts right up, not happy but starts.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:16 PM

Hey thanks for the reminder!. Its been about 3 months since I drained mine. Just ran out and did it. Not to bad....
Old 01-25-2014, 03:25 PM

[QUOTE=PrairieDrilling;7998770] I'm not even sure where it is so I guess I have a small project for tomorrow morning.[/QUOTE
The filter,just about directly below the drivers seat,hooked onto the inside of the frame, toward the front you can see a little plug with a allen head plug. I use a old mason jelly jar to drain into.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I am thinking about adding a fuel line / filter heater because the temperatures appear to be slipping into the single digits and below zero for the foreseeable future.
Don't waste your money! An in-line heater while driving would be overwhelmed by cold fuel. There is a reason why Ford moved away from the heater they had in the 03s, it didn't work. Your best course of action is to ensure the station you fill at stocks proper fuel for the expected temperatures. Try to stay away from #2 fuel that many big trucks run, since many that run #2 in cold climates have immersion heaters in the main tanks or use it before it gets too cold in the tank.

Quote:
Its been about 3 months since I drained mine.
Been 6 months for me. It would already be frozen if I had much water in the trap! Too darn cold right now.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:00 PM

Regulated return fuel system. With eliminate most problems and also helps protect injectors and will simply make the truck run better

Power-Struck dot com
Old 01-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the advice. I found the drain so I've added that to my routine maintenance. I'm also working on changing additives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fuel additive, gelled fuel. diesel 911, temperature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.