Crank/No start/blows white smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 06:00 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Crank/No start/blows white smoke

Well it's just one problem after the other. Gist- 2007 F250 CCSB w/ 77k on it. Only had the truck for about 3 weeks and have already had to replace batteries and FICM. Up till this morning truck has started/ran fine (from what I know, this is my 1st diesel) and my CTS hasn't thrown any codes. It did throw a P0XXX code after i put in the FICM (something about the OBDII port, but thought it was because i just updated my CTS). Went to start leave this morning and waited for my plugs and everything to warm up and when i went to crank it wouldn't turn over. The crank was just that, a crank. It didn't remotely sound like it was trying to turn over and the exhaust was blowing out white smoke and had a good diesel smell to it. Tried it 3-4 times and it did the same thing each time. Should I go back into the FICM and see maybe if the wires might have came loose? Or is it possibly another problem. I dont want to pay for a tow service if theres things I can check 1st.

* also while i was changing my ficm i noticed a loss of some coolant, possibly from one of the hoses. Wasn't much, but still noticed it dripping down the motor onto the driveway*

My current readings on monitor as of last night
Bat%- 12.3-13.1
IPR%- 39-42%
eot- 182-86*
ect- 182-86*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 06:48 AM
Premium Member

First let's describe things correctly. It did CRANK, but it did not START or occasional fire. I don't know how your EOT or ECT could be 18X when it has not been running? If all of those readings where when running, they are nearly useless to diagnose a no-start condition.

As you described, you appear to be getting fuel to at least some cylinders, maybe all 8. Your ICP is probably good as you are getting fuel and probably sync. Since you replaced your FICM, it is possible your plugs are not "clicked" in or the replacement may be bad (new, rebuilt or recycled). Start with the simple stuff.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
First let's describe things correctly. It did CRANK, but it did not START or occasional fire. I don't know how your EOT or ECT could be 18X when it has not been running? If all of those readings where when running, they are nearly useless to diagnose a no-start condition.

As you described, you appear to be getting fuel to at least some cylinders, maybe all 8. Your ICP is probably good as you are getting fuel and probably sync. Since you replaced your FICM, it is possible your plugs are not "clicked" in or the replacement may be bad (new, rebuilt or recycled). Start with the simple stuff.
yea the plugs were really hard to get in and i'm 50/50 on whether or not the back on clicked or not so I will go back today when i get home and dig around. I really hope its nothing serious as I'm already $1000 in repairs into a 3 week old truck
Old 01-24-2014, 03:00 PM

Update....just got home and redid the ficm. Not sure if one was loose and tbh that **** was so hard to mess with I couldn't even tell if the back on completely locked in again. I heard it a click but still iffy. After 2 tries with the same problem it finally started but didn't have that loud engine sound like a 6.0 has. After 2-3 minutes I shut the engine off and cranked it back up. A little sluggish but still started. I looked at my cts and it showed codes for all 8 of the glow plugs and an obdII reset or something like that. Also showed my battery volts around 11.6 while idle. Never had an engine light on or anything until now, could all 8 glow plugs be bad? Also I noticed the other day after On 1st start up glow plug light takes about 6-8 seconds to go off, every other time during the day the glow plug light MIGHT stay on for 2 seconds.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

If each one clicks, it should be OK, unless a wire or pin is damaged. The pins are hard to damage given how the plug rides into the housing.

The glow plug wait to start is based on engine temperature. It could stay on for 12 seconds or as little as 1 second when all warmed up. The glow-plug cycle could continue for up to 2 minutes, again based on engine temperature. If you saw all 8 glow-plug codes, you need to check the relay and the GPCM. It may have been due to your un-plug/plug sequence. If you clear the codes and they comes back, you have some more work to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.