'05 6.0 stopped running and won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'05 6.0 stopped running and won't start

Well I got home last night from a 4 hour drive with no problems then got up early today and was on my somewhere in the truck when it suddenly turned off. I then came to a complete stop, put her in park, tried to start her and the truck wouldn't turn on. It turns over real strong but it only gets up to 400 rpm, it sounds almost as if it wasn't getting any fuel. It has had a bad starting problem only when the engine is cold for a while now, which I have suspected as a HPOP going out. Where could I start looking? Fuses, fuel pump, fuel filters, sensors, HPOP? Thanks for any help guys, the truck is currently at a shop where I know they know Powerstrokes, I just want to get an idea of what might be going on. The truck is about 20 miles away from 100k.

Last edited by Texas6.0; 10-09-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008, 05:07 AM
Powerstroke Techie

There are numerous possibilities that will cause a no-start on these engines. First off, when you crank the engine over, does it "try" to start (meaning the engine sputters, farts, but doesn't quite "catch" but doesn't stay running)? If so, it is definitely a fuel issue. You mention it cranks over very well. How did you get it to the shop? Do you hear a strong buzzing of the injectors, when you key on? If not, your FICM may be on its way out. If it just cranks, but doesn't "try" to start, it definitely sounds like a low ICP (Injector Control Pressure) issue. 2005 to 2007 model years are famous for having the STC fitting blow out. There is an updated fitting that makes it a one-piece design, eliminating any possibility of future failure.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:10 PM

I had it towed to the shop and it turns over very strong but, it doesn't "try" to start
Old 10-11-2008, 10:39 AM

Well they changed the crank sensor and it made no difference, and they said the pressure from the HPOP is good.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Powerstroke Techie

What were the DTCs retrieved? If P2614 and P2617 were the two, IGNORE them. That just means the PCM lost cam and crank sensor inputs when the engine stalled. You have to fix what caused the stalling. I'm assuming that ICP pressure is capable of building well over 500 psi when the engine is cranked over when you say pressure from the HPOP is "good"? Where did you have the truck towed to, an independent shop or dealership? What about ICP volts at key-on engine-off? Is it 0.24 volts or close? What about your FICM_L, FICM_M and FICM_V? FICM_L and FICM_V should be at, or close to 12 volts. FICM_ should be at, or around 47.5 to 48 volts. If all three drop rapidly as the engine is cranked over, your FICM is dusted. How about fuel pressure? Does it increase to 56 or so, psi?
Old 10-11-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
Where did you have the truck towed to, an independent shop or dealership?
Independent shop, and they said there are no codes.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

while u were cranking did u notice if the oil pressure guage was moving or not. might have a oil leak off the quick connect fitting from the hpop.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:49 PM

Well, the shop has diagnosed it as a bad HPOP. I will go ahead and clean the turbo while it is off. I have put off doing an EGR bolck-off because I didn't want any downtime on the truck and now the truck has had plenty of down time. Will the pipe that I need to block off for the EGR block off be a lot easier to get to now that a lot of the top end of the motor will be off for the HPOP install?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:33 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to expertrider
Before you hit 100k, you should buy the Ford 200k warrantee.
I just bought it from a place in Texas for $1400.

It's a really good insurance for the price, but you have to buy it before you hit 100k.
It has a zero deductible on the major engine stuff: turbo, injectors, ERG, heaads and gaskets, everything inside the engine, etc...
Old 10-16-2008, 07:43 PM

I'm like 20 miles away from 100k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.