Sputtering, Shaking, Fuel Restriction at 55mph and higher - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sputtering, Shaking, Fuel Restriction at 55mph and higher

Drives normal up to 50/55'ish and then you'd think the motor was falling out and/or riding on flat tires; engine sputters, loss of power, shakes and sometimes shuts off. Appears to happen even more when under load; uphill or towing.

NUTZ!!! Just happened out-of-blue on Sat.

Fuel filters recently serviced/replaced at last oil service in early Jan.

I am all ears -- lemme know if I need to brace myself for expensive repair(s) OR if this is something EZ or DIY fix.

THANKS!!

Note: runs perfect, under load or not at anything 50mph or less
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you have a monitor? At 55 you will be in o/d which means the engine wants a good amount of fuel, however low rpm means low hpo pressure . Could be gelled fuel depending on temps, low icp, low fuel pressure, or just really bad stiction. Since it happened out of the blue, its probably not stiction- possibly a bad injector or two.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-22-2014, 10:10 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
look into cleaning your lift pump filters(i think that's what it was)... i saw a video on youtube about cleaning those out and it helps get your fuel pressure back where it needs to be
Old 01-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

mine is doing the same ford said the o rings on the injectors. im replacing mine tomorrow and i will repost and let you know if it fixs the problem.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

that didnt fix the problem. i did replace the fuel pump fuel filters and o rings on the injectors have no idea what it could be
Old 01-28-2014, 09:42 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you have the equipment available, i would clean out the lift pump filters but it's kind of a big thing cause you need to remove the bed but while your down there you could do the vent tube cut mod so you can hold more fuel

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i pulled the tank and removed the lift pump and checked that still doing the same thing dont know and the ficm is good and the weird thing is hq ford said o-ring on the injectors. did that and another thing is it doesnt start after it cuts off i have to get a jump and i put alternator in and the batterys are good.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:18 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by la05428 View Post
i pulled the tank and removed the lift pump and checked that still doing the same thing
There is no "lift pump" in the tank to remove. The pump is mounted on the frame rail on the drivers side. Change the filter/water separator in the HFCM using Motorcraft filters. If you have used any other brand than motorcraft, buy the Ford/Motorcraft cap for the HFCM to go with the filters. Same goes for the fuel filter housing on top of the engine.
Quote:
the ficm is good
Load test your batteries first, then retest your FICM when the truck is COLD.
Key on..test
engine cranking..test
engine running..test
Anything lower than 46V, your FICM is junk. Send it off to Ed @ FICM repair dot com, or buy the Bulletproof Diesel FICM power supply.
Quote:
ford said o-ring on the injectors. did that and another thing is it doesn't start after it cuts off i have to get a jump and i put alternator in and the batterys are good.
If you need to jumpstart it after it acts up, the batteries, or the alternator are junk (test, verify, repair) or you could have bad grounds (which I doubt). Repeated attempts to start the truck while needing a jumpstart will KILL your FICM.

That thing about the Motorcraft filters and matching cap is no joke, and this also applies to the oil filter/cap. Motorcraft and Ford only.

What year, and what model truck are we talking about here?
Old 01-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

okay its a 05 350 and i had it tested at autozone and at the dealership. it also has new batteries and new alternator so thats not whats wrong. the ficm was putting out what it was suppose to dont know exactly the volts it was also last week.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:13 PM

Are you cranking the batteries dead after it stalls? Or are they just dead as soon as you attempt a restart? If you are cranking it dead, and It misfires, then dies under load, you could be looking at either fuel system, or ICP system issues. Verify proper fuel pressure under load. It should not drop below 45. If fuel system is ok, I would suspect a failing STC fitting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.